Planning my 2nd Rib Smoke on GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeshow

Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Temecula, CA
I purchased my GOSM at the start of July and I have smoked a Brisket and some St Louis Ribs.  I am somewhat getting the hang of it and need a bit of advice to make some improvements.

I found my ribs last time were too smokey.  I followed the 3-2-1 method.  I used hickory and smoked them during the 3 and 1  periods adding chunks 2 or 3 times during the process.  How many times should I be adding wood and when??

I like the hickory taste, but I want to try a lighter fruity wood for my next batch.  Any suggestions?

I kept the top vent on my GOSM wide open and the side vents closed all the way so they only were open about a half inch....   Is this ok??

To get TBS with a GOSM....  what are the correct vent settings?  How do you get the TBS going without a bunch of white smoke?  Any secrets?

I switch from hickory to cherry. Cherry is a sweet smell, normally for ribs I use hickory. For butts I switch between them both, my next butt I might start off with hickory and finish with cherry. A lot of the people ons smf use peach, I'll have to try that soon.

I use what I can get for free, hickory and cherry.    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky