planning it all out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boudreaux76

Original poster
May 28, 2015
So I've been looking around a while and I think I have gotten a pretty good idea of how I want to build my smoker/ grill combo.

I'm trying to do it pretty economically so I am planning on using cinder blocks, but I don't want to cut corners. Here are the questions I cant seem to find answers for.

1. Do I need a chimney for my smoker using these materials? I have seen quite a few online and it seems like very few of them have chimneys. I can't cost justify much more than sheet metal for the top with bricks holding it all down (unless there are some other options I havent seen yet), but will engineer the smoke stack to come out the rear very near the top.

2. I'm going horizontal - should I build up the bottom of my smoker cabinet to be equal with the top of where my firebox connects? It looks like most of them just come in about midway. I have the materials to build it up if that would be more efficient.

3. Should I put a couple of dampers around the bottom of the smoker cabinet? Nothing complex, just a few blocks on their side that can be covered up with a sliding metal plate.

4. Should I fill the bricks with sand to help hold in the heat?

Inside dimensions of the firebox: 24" H x 16" W x 16" L

Inside dimensions of the smoker "cabinet" 32" H x 48" W x 48" L

I have engineered and drawn up the plans so it fits the 3:1 ratio and everything else on the Feldon's Calculator (except the recommedation for the chimney).

ANY and ALL help greatly appreciated...

So I've been looking around a while and I think I have gotten a pretty good idea of how I want to build my smoker/ grill combo.

I'm trying to do it pretty economically so I am planning on using cinder blocks, but I don't want to cut corners. Here are the questions I cant seem to find answers for.

Not sure if you have seen my post but I used fire brick on all of the inside of mine. Many many years ago I built a burn pit out of concrete block stacked up. About two hours into the burn it sounded like a shot gun going off as the block exploded and fell apart. That is why I chose all fire brick due to the heat on mine. To much of an investment for me to watch it fall apart if it did the same thing.

1. Do I need a chimney for my smoker using these materials? I have seen quite a few online and it seems like very few of them have chimneys. I can't cost justify much more than sheet metal for the top with bricks holding it all down (unless there are some other options I havent seen yet), but will engineer the smoke stack to come out the rear very near the top.

IMO if you are building one as I did I would say yes.

2. I'm going horizontal - should I build up the bottom of my smoker cabinet to be equal with the top of where my firebox connects? It looks like most of them just come in about midway. I have the materials to build it up if that would be more efficient.

Per what I have seen the top of your fire box should be the required opening size from the fire box into the cook chamber per the cubic inches required.

3. Should I put a couple of dampers around the bottom of the smoker cabinet? Nothing complex, just a few blocks on their side that can be covered up with a sliding metal plate.

The calculator also recommends the fresh air intake into your fire box for combustion air or fresh air for your fire once you specify a large enough fire box for your cook chamber size.

4. Should I fill the bricks with sand to help hold in the heat?

Inside dimensions of the firebox: 24" H x 16" W x 16" L

Inside dimensions of the smoker "cabinet" 32" H x 48" W x 48" L

From what I see your fire box is undersized for your cook chamber. Your size above is 6144 cubic inches and the recommend size is 24,576 cubic inches. Or 25% of the recommended size.

I have engineered and drawn up the plans so it fits the 3:1 ratio and everything else on the Feldon's Calculator (except the recommedation for the chimney).

ANY and ALL help greatly appreciated...

Hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky