Plan of attack -

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

b2unit

Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
VG
Pork Loin - Boneless, Type Two, One Each - 9.5 lbs
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

Crossed threads with the wife during the grocery list, wanted large boston butt BUT ended up with loin per above description :)

1- Brine for 3-4 hours
2- Pat dry - install dry rub overnight (rosemary, garlic powder, salt, lemon
pepper, brn sugar)
3- Wrap in bacon
4- Smoke till internal temp of 155, wrap in foil for 30 minutes
5- Munch down

Submitted for expert opinion - reviewed some pork loin threads just checking - will it work ??

Thanks Guys and Gals

I wouldnt let this set overnight. i just add my rub, wrap in bacon and let sit for 2 hours on the counter while it comes up to temp, smoke until 145 max and no foiling 140 even on the temps...155 is TOO high and it will be dry

Sounds like a good plan to me, not sure if you need the overnight rub but I don't think it will hurt any.
I like to pull my loins anywhere between 145-150 and let rest under a tent of foil for about 15 minutes after I pull it off the heat.
I never have wrapped mine in bacon but lots of folks do and claim excellent and moist results.
Good luck and take pictures
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Great plan and the bacon will keep it moist the rub over night is a matter of choice. I take loins to 150-155

Sounds like a good plan to me too and take it to 145 or so like everyone wants.
go smoke it up.

I would pull the pork at 145 degrees. It is going to continue to cook for 15-20 minutes and should reach 150-155 just fine as it sets. Do not pull off of smoker at 155, it'll be overdone and dry, regardless of bacon. Most people can tell the difference between natural pork juices and bacon drippings fat.

I personally would not brine it for 4 hours, unless you are going to go with 1/4 cup of salt or so to 1/2 gal of water, and then for maybe an hour at most... I have never brined pork loin, it doesn't need it. I have marinated it in Mojo which is awesome.

You are going to get a bunch of different answers on this one. Just watch the temp careful and consider pulling it at no later then 145 degrees.

Got some good info. A little less temp/brining - not so much time w/ the rub.

Will post the results with a q/view or two :)
Great resource to say the least

B2

9.5 lbs of loin
smothered with EVOO and my spice mix at 0600 hrs the day of cooking.
Wrapped in bacon right before putting on the smoker (2lbs)
Put on at 225 and cooked to a internal temp of 145-147, at the thickest point. Took about +/-4.5 hours

Set on cutting board for 30 minutes (ended up at 150-155)

Tasted great but not quite how I thought it would turn out, texture wise.
I was only cooking for the wife and son so we had and massive amount of meat left over which has turned out to be excellent sliced thinly for sandwiches or reheated with a bit of BBQ sauce. Still have 3-4 lbs in the reefer.

Next time I will most likely cut a large loin into three pieces, one for smoking, one for butterflying and stuffing with swiss chard/feta/garlic slices and cutting up the remaining for kabobs.

B2 OUT

OMG, no pics!? I took time off from work to wait and see your qview. Just kidding... But i did wanna see pics...

If we ain't droolin you might be foolin....

What was wrong with the texture of the meat? Was it grainy?

LOL, just seemed a bit limp without a real crust - the bacon seems like it did not crisp up at all. Most likely should have cranked up the heat =just to brown the bacon.
Total failure with the Q-View
icon_redface.gif

Beef ribs will be my redemption !!
B2

That cut can become a tasty one when it is not overcooked/smoked. I know you'll end up with a fine meal. It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky