Pizza on the kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

4x15mph

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Made pizza on the Weber kettle using the pizzaQ. Comes out better each time we try this and I think we are at the point where we this will be one of our go to Q cooks. We buy the dough still and can probably do better if we can make it ourself to dial it in further.

we made a couple this time and in the pic is a chorizo sausage pizza.

Attachments

• E73BAFA0-4B0E-41B6-9CFB-1E75FD8F7CDC.jpeg
    E73BAFA0-4B0E-41B6-9CFB-1E75FD8F7CDC.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 3D7CAB4E-E091-44E1-8AFA-3FEFFB27E5B9.jpeg
    3D7CAB4E-E091-44E1-8AFA-3FEFFB27E5B9.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 53
  • EBF7A567-1228-418C-84EC-1FC30CA2AB1F.jpeg
    EBF7A567-1228-418C-84EC-1FC30CA2AB1F.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 51
Made pizza on the Weber kettle using the pizzaQ. Comes out better each time we try this and I think we are at the point where we this will be one of our go to Q cooks. We buy the dough still and can probably do better if we can make it ourself to dial it in further.

we made a couple this time and in the pic is a chorizo sausage pizza.
If you don't mind using yeast in your dough, it's very easy to make. I stepped away from using yeast after taking a course that Anthoy Falco put on at the Napa Culinary Institute last summer. After eating his pizza I knew right away I was getting rid of the yeast and opting for the natural leaven pizza dough. I make dough once a week and have since the summer class and lucky for me we have some of the best organic flour in the country close to home in Petaluma CA . I use Tony Gemignani's flour that Centeral Mills produces for his pizza restaraunts. You can buy imported 00 pizza flour like Caputo but it's expensive as hell and it's nowhere near as good as the Tony Gemignani's flour that Centeral Mills makes. I buy 25lbs a month, between making 4-6 pies a week and feeding my sourdough starter twice a day I go through it.

I also use a PizzaQ on my Weber and can get the stone up to 900* now, which is key for making Naples style pizza. Actually you can get by with 650* but the crust won't have that soft pillow texture that Naples style pizza is known for. My dough is about 90% where I want it now but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it yet.
Dough can be a real bitch if you have what you expect it to be like stuck in your head like I do.
The great thing about pizza is even the bad ones are good unless you scorch the hell out of them....lol and I can't tell you how many times I have done that in the beginning.

If it's important too you keep a log book, which goes against the way I cook 100% but as far as dough goes and how slight changes make huge differences, you pretty much have to.

Pizza has taken over my cooking obsession as much or more than smoking meat did years ago.
I love it working dough is fun and so rewarding, I say go for it....dough is what makes good pizza great pizza, it's all in the dough and using the freshest organic ingredients you can find, it makes a huge difference
I've done blind taste tests with friends to prove that it does.

Reactions: timstalltaletav
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky