Pit boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

creatine

Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
I have a pit boss wood pellet grill smoker the fan does not go off and sounds like it running at full speed temp goes up to 400 . How do I fix this problem?

Sounds like the controller or internal temp probe or both. It's what controls everything.

Got mine a few months ago and from day one, couldn't control temps. Whatever I set it to was 100 deg over selected temp. If I set it to like 250, it ran up to 350 and stayed there. What was worse, no way to get it back down say if I set it to 200 or smoke. Being under warranty it was covered but took 8 weeks to get the new controller and internal temp probe (PB wanted the probe changed out as well).

I was not happy at first with the new controller as it was not what I originally had and apparently they discontinued it due to problems. Been working awesome since the new controller.

So you're reading the 400 on the controller's temp display? Then the probe is probably working and plugged in, it's just not regulating fan and/or auger.
Is it new? Then return or call Pit Boss. Old? Tell us more.

I have a pit boss wood pellet grill smoker the fan does not go off and sounds like it running at full speed temp goes up to 400 . How do I fix this problem?

I recently had this happen also on my PB 440D. I replced my original board under warranty a few years ago, I was out of warranty this time. I ordered one off ebay for $50. ( PB wanted $100, no thanks!) Just to check before I changed the board I fired it up and... it works fine and has for 3 cooks now... strange to say the least. Note this is the old PitBoss style control not the new. I have no idea what caused it but there was ALOT of ash and only semi-burned pellets when I cleaned it out, way more than usual. Same pellets I always use. So, clean it out and give it a test run and see what happens- and get ready to buy a new board, though the warranty is now 5yrs if you bought after August 2018.

1. Going to assume Creatine just experienced normal start-up over-temp and is doing fine now.
2. Tokarev, I don't have a Pellet Pro but SmokeDaddy seems to make nice stuff that's been pretty well designed and reasonably tested/optimized before going into production. You might want to search the forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky