Pismo Beach Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fester

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
SoCal
We took our annual trip to Pismo and like every year Friday is wine tasting during the day and tri-tip for dinner. As always I use central coast Red Oak only.

5671cabd_DSC_0670.jpg

These are the tips after searing the fat caps and turning.

3eec45d9_DSC_0668.jpg

And some shrimp kabobs go on while the tips rest.

653c7aea_DSC_0673.jpg

I pulled most at 135 and few higher in the 140+ range for those that don't like red in their meat. This one was pulled at 135.

e0036188_DSC_0682.jpg

I couldn't post any plated pix's it got too busy after slicing and serving for 37 people!

Looks great!

Are those wood chunks or lump natural wood charcoal you are using.  I gotta know where you are getting that stuff!

Good luck and good smoking.

Awesome job. The TriTip is so versitile and so flaorful. One of my favorite meals

Never had TRI-TIP but after seeing this I got to look in to it. Nice job!...JJ

Awesmome. I'm a tri-tip man myself. I actually used to live just up the street from Oceano Dunes/Pismo State Beach. Thats tri-tip country.

Wow!!!!-----That last picture is suitable for framing !!!!!

I thank you sir!!

Bear

Thanks Bear but my wife doesn't agree and wont let me put it on the wall!

Looks great!

Are those wood chunks or lump natural wood charcoal you are using.  I gotta know where you are getting that stuff!

Good luck and good smoking.
These are wood chunks. I get them at most grocery stores when i am up here. I bought this bag at Von's in Grover Beach. They are usually where they keep the camp fire wood.

I waited to comment on the grill, a half barrel stuck or set on the ground, nice job. 
icon14.gif
 Old School. 
icon14.gif
They are camp site fire pits. But it would be cool to have one in my backyard.

Originally Posted by Fester  

Thanks Bear but my wife doesn't agree and wont let me put it on the wall!

My wife is like that too----Women can be such spoil-sports

That looks absolutely amazing. I've never seen tri tip around here in Boston. I think it's time to locate an actual butcher.

Fester, that's some good looking Tri-Tip and the shrimp is going on my to do list, I used to live in Atascadero and spent many hours/days rearranging the sand at the Pismo dunes, thanks for the memories and the recipe.

Here ya go Merv:

Nick's Firewood

13580 Avenales Ranch Road

Santa Margarita, CA

(805) 438-5852

Enjoy

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky