Piri Piri Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
In response to a recent post, Dave Omak, trusted site expert and guru of garlic, referred to the "concoctions" I come up with. I loved it! I do like trying to find that new flavour profile.

One of the drivers of my experimentation is chicken wings. Both She Who Must Be Obeyed and I love them but I like them sticky and she likes them dry. I am constantly trying to find a middle ground.

SWMBO pulled 12 wing segments out of the freezer with instructions to make them. The dance continues.

This effort was one of my favourite flavours, Piri Piri. It is a great flavoured sauce and marinade but is not sweet and sticky.

I started by mixing up a basic Piri Piri marinade:
  • 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoon) olive oil
  • 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoon) lemon juice
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
  • 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) cayenne (up to 1/2 teaspoon for very hot)
  • 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) salt
  • 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) pepper (fine grind)
The reason for the fine grind pepper is I was going to be injecting and you don't want pepper chunks plugging the syringe.

I injected some of the marinade under the skin of each segment.

Then I tosssed the wings in the remaining marinade and let them sit in the fridge for an hour.

I preheated the pellet smoker to 325 F.

I fired the wings on and smoked for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, I turned the segments and brushed with the remaining marinade. It is important you do not brush with the marinade after this as it has been contaminated from contact with raw chicken and has to have time to cook off.

I smoked for 20 more minutes and served.

The Verdict

These were very tasty. The skin had a great bite through texture, the sauce gave it a bright lemon flavour with just a touch of heat. I went with the lower limit of cayenne as SWMBO doesn't tolerate high heat. It would have been better with more heat. However, if I had done that, I would be speaking in a higher octave.

This is a great balance between great skin and a saucy taste.

Disco

Points!

Looks great Disco! We like piri piri too!
Thanks, Case! I might make two batches next time. One mild for SWMBO and one hotter for me. Piri Piri should have some bite!

Those look amazing. I will give that recipe a run later in the week......

Thanks,

Brad
Thanks, Brad. I hope you like them!

Another awesome smoke from you Disco!

You are the Man!!

icon14.gif

Al

Disco I am not much for wings,I may have to try this with Thighs  Points

Richie

I would of kicked up the heat,and told SWMBO she only pulled enough for me! Then slept on the couch if needed.:biggrin:

I would of kicked up the heat,and told SWMBO she only pulled enough for me! Then slept on the couch if needed.
biggrin.gif
You're a braver man than me. I keep waking up with a pillow just an inch or two above my face. I don't think I can take the chance.

You're a braver man than me. I keep waking up with a pillow just an inch or two above my face. I don't think I can take the chance.
Disco come on,you may only wind up  getting some Hot Tongue 
ROTF.gif

Richie

Oh those look awesome!  Thanks for sharing.    Maybe I will be able to get her off the "Teriyaki Only" wing kick she has been on.

Oh those look awesome!  Thanks for sharing.    Maybe I will be able to get her off the "Teriyaki Only" wing kick she has been on.
I had that problem years ago. I started making split batches. When she tried others she got hooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky