Pig roast sat...need help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokestack15

Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
Original plan was to scald the hog and put it on a spit and roast it, butcher called me and they had started to skin it. So needless to say now we will have a skinned hog to roast. The head is off as well as the feet. I have read a lot about injecting the hog and mopping it and seasoning it. My brother in law has the roaster and it has a spit. What are thoughts on trying to put it on the rotisserie?

What terms did you have for buying the pig? If it was suppose to be whole tell him you don't want it.

We raised the hog...when I first scheduled it to be butchered i was told that when I drop the pig off they would call me and ask what we wanted done. He called but he was 1/2 way thru skinning it. We use the butcher all the time and I think it may have been my fault bc I didn't mark it to be scalded on the drop tag. So now I'm just trying to work with what I have

Do you have a large smoker available?

Not really a big deal. You or your Bro, have probably spit roasted other cuts of skinless meat, Butts, Hams, Beef Roast??? Same deal here only it would be a good idea to double wrap the mid section of the hog in Foil until the front and rear legs get a good start, an IT of 140-150°F. Then unwrap and let the whole thing finish together...

There is another option if the Butcher will go for it...Tell him you want the pig completly boned out, seasoned with at least S & P (Adding Lots of Fresh Garlic and Fresh Herbs, of choice, is traditional) , then rolled and tied into a Porchetta (porketta). This would be nothing more that a 4-5 foot long Pork Butt roast on a Spit. Add your rub to the out side and in a couple of hours you would be eating...JJ

GoWholeHog2014-387.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: OILFIELDTOOL
On man that pic is amazing!!! I was just watching a show on travel channel today where they were discussing porchetta. That would be a great way to go! Let me know when you guys get that done, I'll be right there!

That looks tasty.

Need more info about it...
Here is a great tutorial by good buddy SQWIB. If you wish to slice the meat just go to an IT of 185-190°F. There are recipes out there with the skin on but they are a special order item from a quality butcher. They cut a portion of the Loin and Belly of a pig, in one piece, then remove all the rib bones and portion of the spine. The now boneless side is filled as below, rolled and tied so the belly encloses the loin. Only problem is it HAS to be roasted unless you can get your smoker Screaming Hot to crisp the skin and render a portion of the belly fat...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/103163/porchetta-italian-marketplace-smoked-pulled-pork-w-q-view 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky