Pig In The Ground

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejojo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Strasburg,IL
Has anyone ever cooked a pig in the ground?If so..any tips/advice would be helpful.
I think I have a handle on it..
gonna dig a hole 5 foot deep
get a 1.5 to 2 foot bed of coals
cover the coals with 4-6 inches of dirt
put in the pig
cover the pig with the same amount dirt
cover with 4-6 inches of coals
cover with dirt
cook for 15-20 hours
EAT.....YUM YUM

Well welcome to SMF

I think you are on the right track. Although we have never done an additional layer on top... Heat rises so we have just buried them.

And your times seems to be pretty good.

I can't remember what member it was but I know a while back someone on here did one in the ground.
Maybe someone else remembers who posted the thread? I don't want to give the wrong persons name and for the life of me I can't remember exactly who it was, oh well.
Good luck, and take pictures
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Also stop on over in Roll Call and give us a proper introduction Jojo, we love to get to know all the new members and welcome them to the family.

I helped with one a few years ago. We dug the hole, got a dep layer of coals, and tossed some dirt where the pig was going to go. We stuffed the pig cavity full of fruits and onions, wrapped it all up in wet burlap, then in chicken wire. Then we lowered it down using a section of old wire fence. Then we tossed some poles across the hole to support metal roofing material which we covered the hole with. Then we piled dirt all over the metal, stood around and looked for spots where smoke came through, covered it, drank beer, looked again. When no more smoke broke through we were then free to drink more beer. This was at about 1AM. The next afternoon at like 3PM, we uncovered it, hauled it up, and ripped into it.

Did I mention we did this in the city limits? The police got called to complain about us....the police chief was there with us participating...good times.

Done it a couple times but never dug a 5 foot hole, maybe 3 feet. get coals going we used I think 4 bags last time layed down a layer of dirt, then wet corn husks, wrapped porky in a cloth not as thick as burlap, More like muslim. Soaked it and wrapped in chicken wire, in to the pit cover with wet corn husks, then metal no dirt on top of the pig, but then cver the piece of metal. worked out good, about 13 hr latter pulled it and almost no dry meat.

It sounds like you have a method to your madness and the good folks here have some good how to's and what ever's to smoke your pig so good luck and good smokin.
Ps stop by the Roll Call and introduce yourself properly please.
But let us all know how she comes out.

Ahhh the Fijian Lovo. Lived in Fiji for 2 years and had lots of good food.

All manner of things were put in the ground. First they would dig a hole and fill it with BIG rocks. They would pile lots of wood on the rocks. A fire would be started and it would heat the rocks. While the fire is burning and heating the rocks you would need to prepare the food.

Taro, Potato, fish, mutton, pork. Would be wrapped in bananas leaves and then a palm frond would be woven over the the different things to keep the leaves attached. After the fire burns down and the rocks are nice and hot everything is put in the hole. Dirt would be shoveled back on top and then you would wait.

The food was always good with a very unique flavor. The only draw back is nothing will get crispy.

Sorry it took so long to reply back.
After reading all the responses and talking to some peeps about their experiences......this is what we came up with.
* 5 foot hole...to deep (know better next time),rather too deep than not deep enuff.
* 1.5 to 2 foot of coals (hickory) on bottom
* wrapped pig (225 lbs) in cheese cloth then aluminum foil then chicken wire
* wrapped a 7 foot T post between chicken wire an pig,put welding wire around it all for added stability
* put pig directly on coals,covered with a piece of tin,put coals on top of tin
* 20 hours later pulled pig out,let rest
* YUM YUM might have been the best pork I have ever had (could have been because of all the work and anticipation..lol)

will post pics later
forgot..kinda cheated I used a dual remote thermometer on the pig also

Unclejojo, you're sure welcome. Sounds like your pig was a success!
I love underground pigs too, there's just something special about the meat. Maybe my imagination but I think the pigs are sooooo gooood. lol

Glad my blog helped you!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
biggrin.gif

Don't forget the Tunes...

I got ketchup on my blue jeans, I just burnt my hand
Lord, it's hard to be a bachelor man
I got girls that can cook, I got girls that can clean
I got girls that can do anything in between
I got to get ready, make everything right
Cause all my rowdy friends are comin over tonight

Do you want a drink, hey, do you want to party
Hey, honey, this is ole Hank, ready to get the thing started
We cooked the pig in the ground, got some beer on ice
And all my rowdy friends are comin over tonight

Now, my party pad is out in the woods
It's a long, long way from here to Hollywood
But I got some natural queens out on the floor
And ole Miss Mississippi just walked through the door
Got a little wirlpool just made for ten
And you can jump out and you can jump in
You can do anything that you wanna do
But, uh-uhh, don't you step on my cowboy boots

Do you want to drink, hey do you want to party
Hey, this is ole Hank, ready to get this summer started
I cooked a pig in the ground, we got some beer on ice
And all my rowdy friends are comin over tonight

Do you want to drink, hey, do you want to party
Hey, hey, this is rockin, Randall Hank
Ready to get the summer time started
We cooked the pig in the ground
We got some beer on ice
All my rowdy friends are comin over tonight
That's right, come on in

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky