Piedmontese Brisket - Low and Slooooooh my goodness!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
G'Morning Y'all! I finally got around to cooking up a brisket line that I was lucky enough tx smoker tx smoker introduced to me - Piedmontese Beef. This was also one of the most stubborn briskets I've done to date! :emoji_laughing:

Cook Details:

Date: 11/26/19
Meat: Piedmontese Packer Brisket
Price: $4.xx/ lb ish
Initial Weight: 13 pounds ish
Trim Weight: 12 lbs ish (no weights listed and came very well trimmed)
Rub: Pitfaced On Point (tip of the cap to bvbull200 bvbull200 bvbull200 bvbull200 )(Pepper Forward Savory Rub)
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: Lumberjack Comp Blend
Style: Fat Cap Up... cause why not :emoji_wink:
Temp: from 180°F to 275°F
Spritz or Spray: Nothing
Cook Time: 24 hours!
Rest Time: 18 hours

Pics (comment on top):

tx smoker tx smoker was kind enough to reach out about an opportunity to try some briskets from Piedmontese. He has treated me to some of this brand before and it ahs delivered with great flavor so of course I was in!

full

Trimmed and rubbed liberally with PitFaced BBQ On Point

full

On to the easy bake oven with a tube of lumberjack comp blend

full

24 hours! later

full

Finally sliced the next day after work... (giant hole in front slice from Meater Probe)

full

Point is On Point! I couldn't stop looking at it! (i ate on the side too... lol)

full

Vac sealed some for a future project...

full

Final Thoughts:

This was my first time trying this brand brisket. It looked real lean at first trim (sorry no prep pic). I was kind of concerned but having had some different cuts of this brand before I was hopeful.

First, the cook detail cliff notes:

Onto the pit around 21:00 at 180°F pit temp, fat cap up, centered over firepot and deflector
06:00 it was just hitting the stall in the mid 150's so I wrapped in butcher paper before work and bumped pit temp to 225°F
10:00 texted wife cause it was still in the stall and had her bump the pit temp to 250°F
14:00 at the back end of the stall bumped the temp again to 265°F
16:00 double checked pit temp and meat temp with a few probes. All checks out. Bumped pit to 275°F
20:00 internal temp around 195°F so I start probing. Point feels good and flat is tough.
20:01 I start stressing waaaay more that I have ruined this brisket! But, I let it ride.
21:00 after checking every 15 mins or so, the flat probed the way I liked it so I pulled it off and transferred to foil after letting the IT drop to 185°F to ensure the cooking had curbed.

I normally let them rest about 2 hours minimum, so I wrapped it in foil and towels and into the cooler it went and to bed I went eventually. The next afternoon I finally pulled it out to slice. The IT was probably around 100°F still! I figured it would be room temp but was happily surprised!

First things first, I sliced and gave some to the wife before playing with my food :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I snacked as I sliced and was amazed there was any moisture in the flat at all! not the greatest but far from the bad spectrum. A reheat to 140°F ish would have sent this over the top I believe. The flavor was amazing. The On Point Rub is a pepper forward traditional tasting Texas Rub with a very well balanced savory finish. Excellent on anything.

But what shocked me the most was the point!

I mean, look at it again!!

full

I lost some barq as expected but was still so flavorful. The flavor profile of this is that of a 45 day aged beef. Very deep and intense. Super happy with the results!

The $4.xx question... is it worth the price?

I have done select, choice, prime, wagyu, black wagyu, gold wagyu up to $200 and more briskets and this has to be top 3-5. I'll say I'm glad I snagged two! The next will be sliced same day hopefully though! :emoji_laughing: Thanks again to tx smoker tx smoker for the chance at this brisket and bvbull200 bvbull200 for the rub!

TL;DR

c'mon and cook faster!!!! worth it...

Cheers Y'all!

Very nice. I have to get in on some too. Gonna be after the Holidays and my Accountant releases some funds. She has higher priorities then getting me some " Fancy " meat!...JJ

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
That’s a great looking brisket! It almost looks too pretty to eat!!

I ordered some piedmontese beef that should be here tomorrow but no brisket. I’ll need to find some cheap packers before I order theirs.

Awesome! Like!!

Beautiful job Zach!! I was actually going to contact you to see if you'd done one of these yet. I planned to do one this weekend but my mind got changed for me by Tracy. Apparently Christmas shipping in far away towns with friends is more important than brisket. Dumb question....where the heck are the side dishes?? :emoji_laughing:

I looked on their website and cant find a whole packer just a flat - am i being internet challenged?

You won't find them on the website. Certified Piedmontese also has a wholesale side of the business that is not advertised in any way and that's the only place you can get them. They cater to a select few high end meat shops and restaurants, but that's it. My sales manager managed to get me access to buying wholesale due to the volume I buy from them off the main site. There are upsides like true wholesale pricing and free shipping but the down side is that you have to buy in bulk. there's no getting one brisket. I got two cases and split them with a few friends, Zach being one of them. If I remember correctly each case had 4 briskets and the total weight of the two cases was right around 120#.

Robert

I got two cases and split them with a few friends, Zach being one of them. If I remember correctly each case had 4 briskets and the total weight of the two cases was right around 120#.
Oh yes I recall the pics of the 8 or so brisky's on your counter. not likely gonna be able to measure up to the ordering power needed.

not likely gonna be able to measure up to the ordering power needed.

It's more than just the ordering power. You need the secret password and special decoder ring to gain access :emoji_wink: Honestly....they do not advertise for a reason. Less than 1% of the beef produced in the world is CP so there isn't much to go around. It took my sales manager almost 2 weeks and an act of Congress for me to be able to go through the wholesale side, and I've spent a fortune on their mainstream products. This is a difficult club to gain access to. If shipping didn't cost a fortune, I'd offer to send you one the briskets I have but it's cost 3x as much as the brisket did :emoji_astonished:

Robert

I’ll have to give that brand a go at some point. Man it all looks great but that pic of the finished whole brisket is perfection. Damn near licked the phone screen LOL. Nice job!

Sorry for the delay y'all! Friends in town and had to get a post snuck in here :emoji_wink:

Very nice. I have to get in on some too. Gonna be after the Holidays and my Accountant releases some funds. She has higher priorities then getting me some " Fancy " meat!...JJ

Thanks Chef! I hear ya. I space out the fancy meat purchases enough... I think anyway haha. someday an A5 Wagyu may wind up on the menu. probably right after the lotto hits :emoji_laughing:

Looks perfect

Thanks Jake! For all the stressing it went pretty well!

WOW! Misplaced really great job :emoji_thumbsup:

Big LIKE!

John

Thanks John! Appreciate it.

Damn that brisket looks phenomenal! One of these days ill have to try out some of the CPB Robert keeps talking about. Nice unicorn shaker btw!

Thanks VOL! It is worth trying at LEAST once imho... The shaker has an inside joke among some friends. Makes for good photos though lol.

Beautiful!!! You nailed that! LIKE!!!

Thanks CB! If only I got to eat it after a short rest. But it still was delicious!

That’s a great looking brisket! It almost looks too pretty to eat!!

I ordered some piedmontese beef that should be here tomorrow but no brisket. I’ll need to find some cheap packers before I order theirs.

Awesome! Like!!

Thanks xray! They are definitely in the next tier of pricing. But I like to sneak in some of the "fancy meats" as chef jimmyj chef jimmyj said :emoji_sweat_smile:

Awesome looking job on that brisket. Could for sure do a meal with that.

Warren

Thanks Warren! was real pleased with it.

Beautiful job Zach!! I was actually going to contact you to see if you'd done one of these yet. I planned to do one this weekend but my mind got changed for me by Tracy. Apparently Christmas shipping in far away towns with friends is more important than brisket. Dumb question....where the heck are the side dishes?? :emoji_laughing:

You won't find them on the website. Certified Piedmontese also has a wholesale side of the business that is not advertised in any way and that's the only place you can get them. They cater to a select few high end meat shops and restaurants, but that's it. My sales manager managed to get me access to buying wholesale due to the volume I buy from them off the main site. There are upsides like true wholesale pricing and free shipping but the down side is that you have to buy in bulk. there's no getting one brisket. I got two cases and split them with a few friends, Zach being one of them. If I remember correctly each case had 4 briskets and the total weight of the two cases was right around 120#.

Robert

Thanks Robert! Finally had to sneak one of them in. Side dish was a napkin :emoji_laughing:. But we had quite a few actual sides over Thanksgiving with some friends. including a few deviled eggs! (she made me make em and I did my best not to ruin them. good, but not her good)

I’ll have to give that brand a go at some point. Man it all looks great but that pic of the finished whole brisket is perfection. Damn near licked the phone screen LOL. Nice job!

Thanks! It was a little sad that I lost some barq but after all that time I wanted it done haha.

Nice job!
That point looks really good!!
Al

Thanks Al! I was super happy with it and may have taken a few pics :emoji_grin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky