Piece came off Stoker 10 CFM fan/WSM adapter- help please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

watermelonslim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 7, 2008
So I opened up my stoker last night for an all night butt, and this piece came off the blower:

Another view:

If you haven't seen the WSM adapter, it looks like this (I didn't get any pictures of mine):
Weber_adaptor.jpg

When I unpacked the unit, that piece fell out. It was somehow lodged between the WSM adapter and the blower. I put it back in but it was blocking most of the small opening on the adapter. It made it really hard to get a good temperature. I think I hit 229* and that was the max. So I figured it wasn't allowing enough air, and I took it back out (not even sure that i had it in correctly anyway). After I took it out, I had no trouble hitting 230*. In fact, there were a few times that I had trouble not going over 230*. It hit 240* (with my target set at 230*).
Can anyone tell me where this piece goes, how important it is, and what it's supposed to do?
I'm still in th emiddle of my cook, so I can't experiment with it right now, but I would sure like to get it fixed as soon as get this butt off the Chargriller (before I put my baby backs on).

Well Salty, I don't have a stoker, but if I were a bettin' man, I would say that is the damper flap that allows the intake to be choked when the fan isn't running.

Can you look down the blower and see a flap? If not, I'd say that's what it is. Although, I would think you would have temperature spikes without it, so maybe it's something else. Is it possible it's even a spare? Sounds like you're gonna need to give Rock a call.

Good luck!

EDIT: Reading your post again, I'm pretty sure that's what your part is. Also, make sure you orient the thing so that it swings correctly. The pivot point should be on the high side.

I think you guys are right, but I don't see any possible way for it to pivot in there...

i would agree it looks just like the backdraft damper it looks like the one install on a loren cook cabinet restroom exhaust fan but micro sized. this style damper is gravity operated and hinges from the top edge with the ears. i figure you will need to remove the fan and on the discharge side you should be able to carefully snap the damper into place unless the mount bracket is broke.

Can't you just email the shots to cust service at the manufacturer?
I'd give that a shot and explain you need to know how to get it back in place. They should help you out.

Sorry for the late response- been on vacation...

Yeah, I resolved it. It was the damper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky