Pics of my first build - 80gal reverse flow patio smoker..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danielh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
O'boro, KY
These pics make it look like crap for some reason... but its coming along nicely!

Should be done next week for sure. I took these pictures before working on it tonite, so its a little farther along than the pics show. Obviously the old compressor mount and junk is coming off, but it makes it easier for me to move and level back up for the time being. Tomorrow I will finish the handles, strongback the firebox door, and mount the thermos. Still have to find some metal for the bottom of my removable ash tray (have more 1/4" but its too heavy so I'm looking for something lighter).

Thanks man... Honestly the first pics i saw of yours is when i decided i had to build one. My skills arent on the same level as your brothers, and my cooker isnt as nice either, but all in all I think it will work just fine!

Thanks for posting this. I have a tank exactly like that that i need to do the same thing with. What size is your firebox?

That is an awesome build. I wish I had half the skills you have. I can only weld two pieces of metal together in my dreams. Can't wait to see the progress continue.

Last edited:
Okay... Fired it up for the first time tonite. Overall quite happy with what I found out, but it was completely empty, so I'm not sure how much everything is going to change when its loaded down with food. After it settles in, this thing was within 1-2 degrees from end to end and front to back. Top rack was 5* warmer on the end away from the firebox, and the biggest difference I could find was 11* on the 'fill in' racks directly above the firebox and below the flue.. I wasnt even going to fill them in at first, but i figured I was just wasting space if I didnt so I went ahead and did it.

Things I learned..

1.) It takes a long time to get these heavy builds up to temp. Especially with the extra plate. But once it settles in, man is it even compared to what I'm used to. It also doesnt adjust all that well to temperature changes.. Its awesome if you want to cook at one temp (which i usually do), but say you want to start at 225* and finish at 300*, it takes a little while to settle out. And you dont want to get it hotter than where you are wanting to cook for sure.

3.) I definitely have to get my door sealed up better. Which isnt going to be fun. I was extremely careful about keeping the heat down when i cut it, but it still popped out about 3/8" on one end and 3/16" on the other. I'm thinking maybe the rolled tank had some pressure on it when it was welded. Next time I will just cut the door with a torch and fit it before i weld the hinges up. Since its already hinged its going to be a nightmare to fit. But I think I'll manage one way or another.

4. I think I'm going to hate the removable ash tray. The idea was great, but I think I just made it a little small. Next time I will definitely allow about 4" and put some 2" sides on it. I dont think it will ever hold the ashes from an all day cook. Hard to figure out how to stuff all these features in a small tank like this and have room for food and fire. Live and learn I guess, the TBS will still flow...

And yes, I was a little worried about the plate being too close to the food.. But not after firing it tonite. The extra space between racks was well worth the risk IMO.. I've seen builds on bigger tanks this close so I just decided to go for it.. The closest point is 4", which is at the chamber wall on the firebox end.

More pics tomorrow hopefully. It looks much better with the handles done and a little cleanup on the tank.

Great job it looks great.  If the gap is not too bad and it's not going to get say over 500 Permatex gasket sealer in the red hi-temp will work.  It's the only one thats food safe. 

Very Nice....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great notes thanks, hopefully I can get mine up and running.

As far as the ashes go, what I am going to try is to make a sweep that sits in the bottom, like a "T" when the ashes build, open the door slide the sweep forward then back in place and close the door.

6004c8b0_ready%20to%20go.jpg

Last edited:
I've been pretty much done with this thing for a while, but i still dont have it set in my backyard yet.  I needed about 2 afternoons to finish everything up, but our first baby came a couple of weeks early and i've been busy with that.  Once we get settled in here a little better I will get it set, painted, and some final pics.  Looking back at these pics, it looks sooo much better now. 

Depending on how things go around here, it might be this weekend, but more than likely next weekend.  We're all still tired and trying to get into the being parents groove.  It can only get easier from here i think. 

Quick pic of the new priority in my life.  I think this was the next morning after he was born.

2bf45850_grant3.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Daniel,

I would have to say things do get easier, at least for a few years. Two or three you may want to pull your hair out but that ends pretty quick.LOL

Oh Ya then she will want to date and learn what having an attitude is all about. At this point you may want to lock her in her room. :)

OMG I forgot about driving!!!!!!   Thats when the hair starts to turn gray.

Its ok tho, My hair started turning gray when I was born.

Good luck to ya. Enjoy her while you can.

Time really flys, and before you know it she will be moving out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky