Pickled Kabanosy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
After poking around here reading about pickled eggs and pickled sausages I am going to go for it today and pickle some of the Kabanosy I made a couple weeks ago and see how it comes out. Perhaps this will keep me out of trouble over the Christmas weekend.

Pictures and recipe will follow. Now if you have any tips to share before I venture into this just reply to this thread, ok, Thanks..

Disco where are you man? CrazyBuzzard chime in.

HT

Oh, this promises to be really good!

Poke a few holes in the casing of the Kabanosy and dunk! Add some pickling spices, or add garlic, black peppercorns, mustard seed, and some coriander.

Toss in a few onions, some carrots, and sliced pickled jalapeños and you'll have a killer snack in a week or so!

One note, if possible, use a glass jar and make certain the lid doesn't have any exposed metal. The exposed metal will react to the vinegar and make for a metallic taste in your goodies!

Those and some eggs, washed down with a beer or 3 will make for some interesting after effects a few hours later though!

Reactions: hoity toit
The only suggestion I have is for you to box up the jug of sausages and send it to me. I'll do some quality control and let you know if you've hit he mark or not.

popcorn.gif

Can't help but laugh now...the grandson wanted the chore of coring the jalapenos out for this project so I let him go for it. He had gloves on but later rubbed his eyes for a second and I thought for a few minutes we might have to go to the emergency room. His whole face was red and he was in PAIN, but I couldn't help but chuckle  and laugh a bit because we have all been there. I was able to wash out his eyes with eye drop (thank God I had some), and managed to get him calmed down. He assured me he wouldn't let this happen again.He and I both laughed together about what happened later last night.

Anyway, here are the pics everyone is tuned in for. I'm pretty sure these will be Purgatory Hot based on the heat of the peppers I had.

This is where he gets in trouble with the Japs.....lol

We did several peppers besides this one, and cut them down a little smallee in size as well.

Got the jars and lids in the pot on the left, and the hot-r-than-purgatory brine on the right.

Used 8 cups vinegar, 3 cups water, tri colored peppercorns, a little pickling spice, minced garlic, Cayenne pepper and some Kosher salt. A tad of red food color added at the end for the Christmas color. I have my exact measurements  written in the log book for future reference. Its a good idea to do that.

Here you see we have the jars out of the hot water bath stuffed with the onion and jalapenos. At this point I also added 1/8 tsp of Alum to each jar.

We are waiting for the brine to cool off a little more so the fat in the Kabanosy won't surrender to the top of the jar....hehehehe.

Here is MR Jalapeno Redface after it quit burning so bad..I know blame it on granpa (me). He'll be allright.

And here are a couple money shots of the completed Pickled Kabanosy.

I think everyone says I should let them rest a week so they are under refigeration till New Years.

Thanks everyone for all you do and have a Merry Christmas.!

Nice work on those! Now, I like hot stuff, but in have a feeling those may burn twice!:icon_eek:

Hate to hear that the kiddo got the jot stuff in his eyes, but like you said, we've all done it. Just tell him to be glad he didn't go to the bathroom!

Looking forward to hearing how they are when you crack them open! I'm betting another Shiner or 4 may be required!

Nice work on those! Now, I like hot stuff, but in have a feeling those may burn twice!
icon_eek.gif

Hate to hear that the kiddo got the jot stuff in his eyes, but like you said, we've all done it. Just tell him to be glad he didn't go to the bathroom!

Looking forward to hearing how they are when you crack them open! I'm betting another Shiner or 4 may be required!
you got that right.

Nice looking treats...The boy learned a valuable lesson. Funny thing is kids are not the only folks learning about peppers. Was teaching a class about Jamaican Cuisine. Told the group to wear gloves when handling Habaneros, because they could irritate the skin and the Capsaicin can be hard to wash off. I heard an older (35yo) student say he is tough and don't need no gloves. Short time later heard howling from the bathroom. I handed the man a quart of milk and told him to, " Pay attention when I give you a warning..." Now that was some funny stuff...JJ

Last edited:
Nice work on those! Now, I like hot stuff, but in have a feeling those may burn twice!
icon_eek.gif

you got that right.

Nice looking treats...The boy learned a valuable lesson. Funny thing is kids are not the only folks learning about peppers. Was teaching a class about Jamaican Cuisine. Told the group to wear gloves when handling Habaneros, because they could irritate the skin and the Capsaicin can be hard to wash off. I heard an older (35yo) student say he is tough and don't need no gloves. Short time later heard howling from the bathroom. I handed the man a quart of milk and told him to, " Pay attention when I give you a warning..." Now that was some funny stuff...JJ
I love it JJ. We have all been there at some point. Thanks for the comeback story. I visualize him howling...ahahhahahaaa..not funny but it kind of is.

First time I got peppers in my eyes was at a boy scout meeting. Then did it again a week later haha.
yep, you can tough a lot of things but not the nose, eyes, or god forbid something else. Usually salt and/or vinegar will kill the heat and smell. I used to wash my hands in salt and water to kill the smell of fish. Works on peppers too.

HT I love them things let us know how they are.

Merry X-Mas Richie

points.gif
They are not too hot either, I tried some today, but will let set another week before tasting again. They didn't come out too hot so that is a good start. It isjust like me to try something new I have neverdone before.,keeps things interesting to say the least

Oh, this promises to be really good!

Poke a few holes in the casing of the Kabanosy and dunk! Add some pickling spices, or add garlic, black peppercorns, mustard seed, and some coriander.

Toss in a few onions, some carrots, and sliced pickled jalapeños and you'll have a killer snack in a week or so!

One note, if possible, use a glass jar and make certain the lid doesn't have any exposed metal. The exposed metal will react to the vinegar and make for a metallic taste in your goodies!

Those and some eggs, washed down with a beer or 3 will make for some interesting after effects a few hours later though!
I forgot to poke the holes in the casing, so I'll have to remember next time.

Dang it HT Them sure look good - Nice job,, I feel for the kiddo,,yep been there done that LOL 

Better have dome cold ones ready 
cheers.gif

DS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky