Pickled Carrots, another sign of fall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies

This time of year, I pull out the last of the carrots and make pickled carrots. I love pickled carrots. I am not so fond of having to let them sit for 2 weeks before you can open them.

Also, the missus has just about forgiven me for the mess.

Disco

Never heard of pickled carrots.

Looks good thou.

Never heard of pickled carrots.

Looks good thou.
They are delicious. A touch of spice, garlic and oregano. Pickled carrots, pickled green beans, pepperoni, smoked cheese and a good beer make for a fine afternoon on the deck.

Disco

Looks good Disco! I haven't had pickled carrots in ages... What kind did you grow?
Thanks, B.

I bought a new variety called "Sweetness". Don't bother. They are ok but aren't particularly sweet. I will likely go back to Nantes next year.

Disco

Thanks, B.

I bought a new variety called "Sweetness". Don't bother. They are ok but aren't particularly sweet. I will likely go back to Nantes next year.

Disco
That's good to know - thanks 
beercheer.gif
  I grow Nantes & Danvers Half Long - they get nice & sweet. Thanks for reminding me of the pickled carrots.

Looks good Disco! I haven't had pickled carrots in ages... What kind did you grow?
Thanks, B.

I bought a new variety called "Sweetness". Don't bother. They are ok but aren't particularly sweet.

I will likely go back to Nantes next year.

Disco
A great carrot....  That's all I grew...   great flavor and texture...  

A great carrot....  That's all I grew...   great flavor and texture...  
It is the one I usually grew but, I am sad to admit, I was taken in by the press and the name on the new carrot. The lesson is learned, stick to the old favourites.

Disco
Looks nice Disco! You are just becoming a canning whiz! Love the stack of jars!

Kat
Thanks, Kat.

I have to admit to being addicted to pickles.

Disco

Pop made pickled carrots, his had a pepper kick to them. One friend would always beg a jar for his Bloody Marys, (I guess if I have to capitalize Mary I might as well capitalize Bloody too). Pop always at the end of the season, became the mad scientist of pickle chemistry. I swear he tried one year to make pickled strawberries! Mom made the normal sweet, sour, dill, bread and butter, type pickles but Pop came up with stuff you probably had to be drinking and having pickled eggs to go with ..... ROFLMAO

Nice looking pickles Disco. I just love the look of stuff, especially the bright colors, canned in a mason jar. Its almost like stained glass art.

Pop made pickled carrots, his had a pepper kick to them. One friend would always beg a jar for his Bloody Marys, (I guess if I have to capitalize Mary I might as well capitalize Bloody too). Pop always at the end of the season, became the mad scientist of pickle chemistry. I swear he tried one year to make pickled strawberries! Mom made the normal sweet, sour, dill, bread and butter, type pickles but Pop came up with stuff you probably had to be drinking and having pickled eggs to go with ..... ROFLMAO

Nice looking pickles Disco. I just love the look of stuff, especially the bright colors, canned in a mason jar. Its almost like stained glass art.
Thanks, Foamheart.

These ones have sweet and hot pepper in them as well as garlic and oregano. I doubt they would seem hot to your southern tastes but they have a little bit for this denizen of the frozen north.

I also have friends who chase me for my pickled carrots and green beans for a drink but up here the drink isn't a Bloody Mary. The drink they are used in up here are called Bloody Caesars. They are made with vodka, salt, celery salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and Clamato juice. I don't care for them personally but they are a big drink up here and they love them with a pickled carrot stick, asparagus spear or green bean.

I will surrender a jar of pickled carrots but you have to be family or a best friend to get my pickled beans. I love them.

Disco

Looks great Disco! Love dilly carrots as we call them. We add a bunch of dill per jar.

Unfortunately a sign of fall for us is 300+ green tomatoes!!!

They are delicious. A touch of spice, garlic and oregano. Pickled carrots, pickled green beans, pepperoni, smoked cheese and a good beer make for a fine afternoon on the deck.

Disco

Carrots look good... the afternoon on the deck with those snacks does sound fabulous!

Looks great Disco! Love dilly carrots as we call them. We add a bunch of dill per jar.

Unfortunately a sign of fall for us is 300+ green tomatoes!!!
Thanks, Case. If you haven't tried it, green tomato mincemeat pie filling is delicious.

Disco
Carrots look good... the afternoon on the deck with those snacks does sound fabulous!
Thanks! Swing on by, the beer is in the fridge.

Disco

I love the regular mincemeat....Thanksgiving and Christmas is not right with out a pie or 2!

I have a recipe for Green tomato chow-chow......just saying!

kat

I love the regular mincemeat....Thanksgiving and Christmas is not right with out a pie or 2!

I have a recipe for Green tomato chow-chow......just saying!

kat
Please Kat, don't start me on mincemeat. MIncemeat pie with hard sauce not only brings Christmas to mind, it makes me drool just thinking about it.

Also, my mom used to make Chow Chow. I would love some now but I hated it at the time. I may have to dig out her old recipes.

Disco

I am "smelling it now"....and I can eat it straight from the jar!!!!

If you can't find the chow-chow recipe....I will share...it takes a lot of stuff so be warned!  

For those who don't know what chow-chow is....it's a sort of Relish.

Kat

Ahhhhh, sweet looking carrots there Disco. Pickling to me is amazing stuff that I am just getting into. Kraut, red cabbage, pickles, beans, hot peppers...the list is endless. Getting the brine ready for another batch of pickled eggs now.....amazing how something as lowly as a pickled spicy egg can jazz up an afternoon. I have 4 hot Thai Chili plants in the bed still, getting the last of the Summer sun......some will definitely hit the pickling juice.....Willie

Like Picadilly?
Not really. It has some spices in common but it isn't as mustardy as picadilly and has a different texture with the cabbage.

Disco

Ahhhhh, sweet looking carrots there Disco. Pickling to me is amazing stuff that I am just getting into. Kraut, red cabbage, pickles, beans, hot peppers...the list is endless. Getting the brine ready for another batch of pickled eggs now.....amazing how something as lowly as a pickled spicy egg can jazz up an afternoon. I have 4 hot Thai Chili plants in the bed still, getting the last of the Summer sun......some will definitely hit the pickling juice.....Willie
Thanks, Willie. 

I am jealous on 2 counts. You are being more adventurous than me. I have been doing salsas, jams, jellies, beans, carrots and occasional cucumber pickles for years. I've never tried kraut or cabbage of any kind. I'm not fond of eggs though.

Next, I would never be allowed to grow Thai Chili plants. She Who Must Be Obeyed suggests she doesn't like what they do to me. I occasionally sneak some in the grocery cart though for Chicken Tikka.

I bet your pickled chili will be the bomb. 

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky