PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Al,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm on vacation.

I did try them again. Had a similar experience as before. First 3 hours went great. Then foiled them with warmed up apple juice. After an hour and 20 min they were around 200f. perfect!

This time I nuked the bbq sauce and put them back on. After 30 min they I pulled them. They were 145F and was pretty frustrated. They were not that good.

I wonder if I would have sauced them and put them on a hot grill if that would have made the difference. I don't have a gas grill at home so that's why I put them back on the smoker. I just feel like they dry out during the last stage. I'm even thinking of stopping the cooking process after the wrapped part, just sauce them and serve. When I unwrap them they look juicy, soft and delicious.
I think you have the answer, forget putting them back on after the foil.

The reason for putting them on a hot grill is to burn off the membrane & caramelize the sauce a little.

They really don't cook much more.

Al

Morning Al,, just found this post,,,, I will be doing your trick today,,, but I already pulled the Membrane and let them sit overnight in the fridge??? I am not a rib guy,, but my wife loves them I will let you know how they come out 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

They will be fine.

The membrane holds the juices in, but the important thing is cooking them to IT. 195 is tender & juicy, 200 is fall off the bone.

Good luck!

Al

I can't wait to try this. My wife likes "Fall off the bone" ribs, I don't but, she wears the pants in the family( the pants I want to get into) so that's how I make them.

The next time I cook I will smoke two racks. One her way and one this way to see the difference.

I noticed you sharing your rub recipe, Al. I didn't notice the recipe for your Famous sauce, however.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for all the info, Al!

Reactions: JimHD
I will be trying this this weekend. Question though - what about the racks that have a thicker side? Technically, the left side of the rack would probably be a different internal temp than the thinner side.

I can't wait to try this. My wife likes "Fall off the bone" ribs, I don't but, she wears the pants in the family( the pants I want to get into) so that's how I make them.

The next time I cook I will smoke two racks. One her way and one this way to see the difference.

I noticed you sharing your rub recipe, Al. I didn't notice the recipe for your Famous sauce, however.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for all the info, Al!
The sauce I use is a variation of Jeff's sauce. I just added some extra brown sugar & molasses to sweeten it up. I suggest you purchase his recipe & tweak it to your own taste. Or just use your favorite BBQ sauce.

The thread is more about the finish temp of the ribs than it is about the sauce or rub.

Al

I will be trying this this weekend. Question though - what about the racks that have a thicker side? Technically, the left side of the rack would probably be a different internal temp than the thinner side.
I try to put the thermapen in the thickest part of the ribs, and check it in several places. 

Al

Last edited:
Putting them meat side down when placing into foil is an awesome tip. Seems so obvious when you point it out. Will definitely try this next weekend when I've got the family over for sunday lunch. 

Putting them meat side down when placing into foil is an awesome tip. Seems so obvious when you point it out. Will definitely try this next weekend when I've got the family over for sunday lunch. 
That's great William, please let me know how they turn out.

Al

My first post on the boards! I'm going to try this method tomorrow! Thanks for great thread! :grilling_smilie:

Here's my schedule from today......

Put 3 racks on at 11:11 225 degrees
Smoked racks for 3 hours until 2:11
Foiled ribs at 2:15 checked internal temp got 175 degrees

Looks like they will be around the target in about an hour? What is best way to keep them warm till dinner time at 4:30ish?!?!

Here's my schedule from today......

Put 3 racks on at 11:11 225 degrees
Smoked racks for 3 hours until 2:11
Foiled ribs at 2:15 checked internal temp got 175 degrees

Looks like they will be around the target in about an hour? What is best way to keep them warm till dinner time at 4:30ish?!?!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I usually just leave them on the cutting board for a while before I slice them up.

But then I like my ribs room temp, actually I like them the best the next day cold.

I think the best way to warm them back up after they cool down is to cut them up & nuke them 2 or 3 at a time for about 15 seconds.

How did they turn out?

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender

Since dinner was later than my finish point I left them foiled for 2 hours.  They were very juicy and tender and the kids and family raved over them!!!  I had never wrapped ribs before or used the mustard for a rub base.  Will be making again...eating some now for breakfast :)

Last edited:
Reactions: snakester

Since dinner was later than my finish point I left them foiled for 2 hours.  They were very juicy and tender and the kids and family raved over them!!!  I had never wrapped ribs before or used the mustard for a rub base.  Will be making again...eating some now for breakfast :)
Looks-Great.gif
Way to go Augie!

Just a quick note while these things cool.  Al, you're absolutely right.  These ribs took MUCH longer than the usual 6 hours (I have the ECB and ADD, so I have to set my phone alarm to keep reminding me to check the coals), but I finally got them into the 190s, and the juiciness and flavor, without any sauce or grill-finishing, is just out of this world. They're absolutely FOTB, and were tied in circles, so they're in a bit of a pile in the pic.

Thanks again for 'splaining it so well.

Best,

Parx.

Reactions: snakester
Fareway had BBs on sale so I picked up a few racks and plan to try this well tested method shortly.

Unfortunately the racks were cut down into halves/thirds. At the price I didn't complain, but am wondering how this could affect cook time and possibly lead to dried-out ribbage. Any suggestions for how to adjust, or just go for it and watch that IT?

My five year old cheapo MF smoker is now DOA so I will make do on a Weber Spirit gas grill using indirect heat. New Smoke Vault 24 coming soon but meanwhile need to get my rib thing on so the Weber will have to do. It will hold 250 w/ one burner and works OK though obviously the smoke is a bit diminished. Anyways, that's a whole other thread...

Thanks for the excellent walkthrough!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky