Pepperoni Stix ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
So a little birdie told me that last batch of stix (which were really mild) My niece and her hubbie ate and didn't share with the rug rats. Can you even imagine such! BiL and baby Sister are headed Memorial Day to play with her daughter and her grand babies so I thought I'd try sending some more.

I guess I am doing good, Sister says they love sticks and will fight for 'em and the silly girls will get a pizza and eat the pepperoni and cheese and leave the rest of the pizza (my Mom would never have allowed that) LOL.

So I got 5 lbs. of shoulder roast (on sale), and a pound of pork. The pork was really fatty so I made it 4.5 ground beef and .5 pork. When making stix, I use the finest plate I have. I never had a lot of guidance about plate sizes. My rule of thumb, "The bigger the casing the bigger the plate". And actually I don't usually even think about it.

I chunk up the meat and add the seasoning except the cure, I always ad it with a bit of water just before stuffing. Here's what I am trying, looking for a pepperoni taste.

4.5 Beef (fine ground)
.5 Fatty Pork (fine ground)
6 T Butchers and Packers Pepperoni spice

IMG_8878.JPG

4 T Powdered Buttermilk

IMG_8879.JPG

1 t AmesPhos

IMG_8880.JPG

Yellow Mustard Seed ( Why, Because it makes everything better!)

IMG_8882.JPG

I ground it all together with the spices above and allowed it to sit over night in the nice cool reefer! After it goes in the reefer and the grinder is cleaned up, I pulled out the bowl of bags of casing, sheeps this time. I seperate, wash and inspect the casing and leave in a bowl of water next to the ground meat in the reefer.

Then the next day added 3/4 C of water with 1t cure #1 dissolved. Worked it in. It was a bit more water than usual, I don't know if it was the meat or the spices but it needed the water to get it thru the stuffer. Actually could have used more water.

Stuffed stix, back in the reefer.......

IMG_8857.JPG

Oh and the dirty dishes.....LOL I could make a lot more with a swamper to clean behind me....LOL Can you see that yellow tupperware bowl? If you ever see on for sale anywhere buy it, it low profile so it fits easily in any reefer and holds 10# of ground meat. I have two and love 'em!

IMG_8858.JPG

So today, I was amazed how dry the stixs casing were just out of the reefer. I loaded the dowels w/ raw stix and the A-MAZ-IN Oval with corn cob and apple.

Preheat the smoker to 275, light the oval, let everything mellow out. Hang the stix, set the oval on the grate, leave the door on latch, and set the temp to 150 and walk away.

IMG_8868.JPG

3 hours later I reset the temp to 160 degrees.

IMG_8873.JPG

And an hour later...............

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

I'll cut 'em up tomorrow and seal 'em up.

And BTW, I had to taste...... I am impressed!

The Ames makes 'em plumper with a little twang, I am not sure if the buttermilk brought anything to the table <shrugs> But it most definitely has a pepperoni taste to the stix.

Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• IMG_8873.JPG
    IMG_8873.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Looks great . I'm with you on the butter milk or fermento . Not sure I see a difference either .
Like the meat ratio
Like the 275 pre-heat then adjust .
Like the mustard seed .

Looks like some good sticks Foam. Maybe not enough powered buttermilk?? I use liquid sooooooo, cant help ya.

Edit,, how does the container say to make the liquid buttermilk??

Nice job Kevin. Real nice sticks.
Pepproni sticks are my favorite but I've never added buttermilk or mustard seeds. Gonna have to try that next time.
Gary

Thank you Gary

I put yellow mustard seeds in the first stix I ever made. They were a honey ham stix. I added the mustard seeds basically thinking would give a small mustard taste. They crunch so good when ya bite 'em and they are a lot softer after smoking. I love 'em!

This is my second shot at pepperoni stix, last ones were whimpy! I like these! I added 50% more spice AND the mustard seeds. Did I mention I love mustard seeds in stix? The Ames keeps the fluid in there, the skins still snap but the meat is almost juicy. Worked out well.

Kevin nice looking sticks,hope they share them this trip LOL
Richie

Thanks Richie

LOL.... Well if they don't the next batch will be mailed. 'Course the girls would be all excited getting mail too! LOL One is three and one is seven, The three year old before she could walk, barely crawling, broke her leg AND had to have the tip of her index finger sewed back on twice! <Chuckles>

But when they smile they light up the whole room, or else you know you're in trouble.

They look delicious Kevin!
Great work!
Al

Thanks Al. If you have not tried the Phosphate, you should. Other than a slight twang which I like, it plumps the sausage up really nice. I have used it in my cajun HoT smoked sausage and andouille occasionally and all the old timers here like it and go nuts trying to figure out what that different little twang comes from. I'll never tell.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky