Pepperoni Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

farmer jim

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
McKean County, PA
I just made 10# of pepperoni using the Sausage Maker Dry Pepperoni seasoning.  It says cure 3 weeks at 40-50 deg. and 70-80% humidity. I don't have a room with that humidity, but do have one with that temp. Can I put them on a rack inside a tote with a dish of water in the bottom?  I should have thought of this before making it, however....

I just made 10# of pepperoni using the Sausage Maker Dry Pepperoni seasoning.  It says cure 3 weeks at 40-50 deg. and 70-80% humidity. I don't have a room with that humidity, but do have one with that temp. Can I put them on a rack inside a tote with a dish of water in the bottom?  I should have thought of this before making it, however....
You certainly can!  I would add salt to the water though

Adding water to salt will give you a relative humidity of 75%. The water should just come to the top of the salt...What cure did you use and what is your experience with dry curing meat?

Not having the correct humidity, you will have case hardening. The sausage will be hard on the outside and soft on the inside. The sausage need to lose a certain percentage of weight as it dries so you will have to weigh it at the start and keep a record. When the sausage has reached its target weight you need to test the ph level to make sure its ok to eat.... You have good and bad bactiria. The good bactiria will look like white powder. The bad bactiria will look dark in color like moldy food..... Here is a good reference http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/drying

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky