Pepper Lard Pizza Dough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Fremont Michigan
Made grilled pizza tonight and thought I would share my favorite pizza crust dough.
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp yeast
3 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour or all purpose
1/2 tap salt
1/2 tbs ground black pepper
2 heaping tbs lard

Pour water into a bowl and sprinkle on the yeast to proof.
Add 2 1/2 cups flour, salt, pepper and lard and mix well
Knead in the rest of the flour as necessary.
Let the dough raise for an hour and then punch it down and divide in 2.
When I do pizza on the grill I like to cook the dough over direct heat. I oil up one side with some evoo and put it on the grill oil side down.
IMG_20180518_192809460.jpg
IMG_20180518_192833120.jpg

Brush the up side with oil and flip it over.
IMG_20180518_193308980.jpg
Take it off and load it up. Return it to the grill this time indirect heat.
IMG_20180518_193911474.jpg
This time it was more evoo,wilted spinach, feta, red onion, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and some fresh mozzarella.
IMG_20180518_200242757.jpg

The lard makes the crust crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
A couple slices and a pint of Old Nation M-43 wheat IPA. Friday night dinner.

Last edited:
I have made calzones on the grill with it before. That's a little trickier. The raw dough makes it a bit more of an adventure.

That pizza looks fantastic.
I bookmarked this , cause I'm gonna try that dough recipe!
Thanks for posting it & congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Looks like a fine pizza odd, I'll have to remember that dough recipe.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great looking pizza. Everything tastes better when using the lard. Glad to see how it was used here. Keep them coming and we will want delivery soon. Just not a fan of spinach. But what the heck. I'd eat it anyways. Wouldn't want to take away from any of the flavors. It would be like dropping the LARD. Hell No! Points and a Like for this great PIZZA!

Well I just had to make that dough, so last night we made pizza on the grill using your dough recipe, the only thing we did different was sprinkle some Italian seasoning on the dough after brushing it with olive oil.
I gotta say this is the real deal.
Thank you for posting the recipe!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky