Pellet Storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
When storing pellets in buckets do they need to be food grade buckets.

I dont think so... I use home depot buckets with a sealing lid you can buy that screws off (can recall... I think those came from Amazon.). super handy.

Many options... I think there are a few threats on this forum about this. Personally, I use wooden boxes (brought from work). I had to buy hinges, spring latches and handles. I sealed all seams inside the box with food grade silicon. Also, I glued a Foam Weather Seal on all upper edges of the box to make it airtight. Keep all boxes in the garage....
IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2813.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22
I store mine in pickle buckets I buy from a place called Firehouse Subs for a couple of bucks each, and use gamma lids on them.

Funny 30 years ago when I worked at Burger King people fought over pickle buckets.

I just store mine in plastic bags, but since I only use them for cold smoking, I don’t have a big stash of them.
Al

Just keep them off concrete/cement floors. I've found you can literally put down a piece of cardboard and it will protect them from concrete (the concerte will draw all the moisture out of the pellet and it will fall apart back to sawdust). Other than that, not much to worry about. I throw mine in a big plastic storage box and I don't even close the opening in the bags between uses. No issue in almost 2 years and over a ton of pellets uses.
EB537DE3-B9AD-4997-BF42-54D050ECD429_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: pushok2018
BuckeyeSteve, did you do anything to eliminate the pickle smell or just fill them up?

Five gallon buckets with lids work well and are under $5. They hold about 25lbs of pellets.

Five gallon buckets with lids work well and are under $5. They hold about 25lbs of pellets.

That’s what I use. Under $5 and my local ACE hardware even puts on a Traeger logo on it for you.

My question, does anyone leave their pellets outside even with the lid on and have no problems with the auger?

That’s what I use. Under $5 and my local ACE hardware even puts on a Traeger logo on it for you.

My question, does anyone leave their pellets outside even with the lid on and have no problems with the auger?

Mine are outside under a covered porch. Never had any swelling or augur issues. It's possible they could have a higher moisture content and not burn quite as hot, but I've had no issues at all.

Reactions: Basco
When I injured my shoulder earlier this year I couldn't handle the 40# bags of pellets so switched to the 20's. Turns out the smaller bags tend to come with "Zip-Lok" style closures. Who knew? My shoulder's a lot better now but I've found the convenience and that easy-seal feature is worth an extra buck per bag.
I fill a few red 3# Folgers coffee cans (waterproof until they crack) from the bag as needed and trust the bag's seal for the remainder.

Just keep them off concrete/cement floors. I've found you can literally put down a piece of cardboard and it will protect them from concrete (the concerte will draw all the moisture out of the pellet and it will fall apart back to sawdust). Other than that, not much to worry about. I throw mine in a big plastic storage box and I don't even close the opening in the bags between uses. No issue in almost 2 years and over a ton of pellets uses.

Actually, you have it backwards.
There is essentially no moisture in smoking pellets. Part of the manufacturing process is to dry them out completely. Pellets need to be kept completely dry or they absorb moisture and turn back to sawdust. Put a few pellets in a cup of water and you will see it happen.

Concrete transmits moisture. Putting down any kind of barrier will protect pellets from the moisture in the concrete- cardboard works in some situations (depends on weather, etc.), a sheet of plastic works better. We use pallets or racks for indoor storage, closed buckets for outdoor. We went through about 12 tons of pellets last year (less this year with covid), so we have a lot of experience in this area.

Reactions: Gary_M
Actually, you have it backwards.
There is essentially no moisture in smoking pellets. Part of the manufacturing process is to dry them out completely. Pellets need to be kept completely dry or they absorb moisture and turn back to sawdust. Put a few pellets in a cup of water and you will see it happen.

Concrete transmits moisture. Putting down any kind of barrier will protect pellets from the moisture in the concrete- cardboard works in some situations (depends on weather, etc.), a sheet of plastic works better. We use pallets or racks for indoor storage, closed buckets for outdoor. We went through about 12 tons of pellets last year (less this year with covid), so we have a lot of experience in this area.

Maybe I should stop posting perfidious info :emoji_laughing:
I'll shall try to be a bit more thorough with my research next time. Thanks for the correction.

Save the pellets!

Just got some food grade pails with screw on lids at Menards for under $10 each. The food grade were only 50 cents more than the non food grade.
For what it's worth Menards had Pit Boss pellets, 40 pounds for $15.

Attachments

• 20210409_151141.jpg
    20210409_151141.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 25
I use the Home Depot buckets and snap on lids they seal them nicely, I use tape and put name of pellets on it. and I works out great when you dump out the pellets in the hopper, to change pellet flavors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky