Pellet Smoke Smell in Microwave

  • Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmorey

Newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
24
26
I didn't really know where to put this, but hopefully someone has done this as well and has a solution.

So I was getting everything ready to smoke a pork butt Saturday night. I have a MES30 and dry out my pellets in the microwave first like many other people. I have done it on a standard dinner plate, in a glass measuring cup, and this time thought that a better idea was on a paper plate. Then I could just fold the plate and dump them in my tray.

Worked great, but the paper plate held less than normal. So I did a second batch, and I kept getting other stuff ready as normal.

Well, I don't know if it was the paper plate or that it had less in the second batch, or what, but it must have been too much and they started smoking in the microwave. I shut it off as fast as I could, got the plate outside. Opened up the windows and doors to clear the smoke out as the microwave vent had blown some into the house (and it just got pretty cold in Michigan this past weekend). It wasn't a LOT of smoke, not enough to set off the smoke detectors, but it was strong since they are made to smoke, not like burnt food. It wasn't good.

I cleaned the inside of the microwave. I have opened the doors up over Sunday more to add fresh air. I have wiped cupboards and counter tops down. Yesterday did vinegar in the microwave and took a lot of it apart cleaning into the vents deeper, etc. I was hoping with some time it would start to disappear. I've had the fireplace not vent quick enough one time and have had a smokey house, took some time and fresh air.

It still smells. The kitchen still smells but I think it is predominantly the microwave. Plus we are still using it from time to time, so then it is blowing the smoke smell more.

So, anyone else stupid enough to have this happen? Any other ideas besides vinegar, water, cleaner, etc.??

My wife already isn't happy, and its not for the lack of effort here, but I just don't know what to do. Luckily she was gone this weekend when I did it. I think it has gotten better, but unsure if i just need to keep cleaning it over and over, microwaving more vinegar or water, or if time will do it. Buying a new microwave isn't really in the cards...
 
You said "the microwave vent had blown some into the house".
Does that mean it's vented back into the house, like mine is, and not vented outside?
If so, it could be the filters in the MW.
Mine has some kind of Charcoal filters.


Bear
 
You said "the microwave vent had blown some into the house".
Does that mean it's vented back into the house, like mine is, and not vented outside?
If so, it could be the filters in the MW.
Mine has some kind of Charcoal filters.


Bear
It is an above the stove microwave, so yeah, it just vents back into the house (stupid...). There is a 5"x5" filter in there (but only on one side of the vent anyways, so I don't get it's point, no bracket on the other side) which I removed and took a deep smell of it. Didn't smell. Seems to be more from the fan assembly etc. I did reach my hand in there and wiped down the cylindrical fan assembly, but I am obviously only touch a small part of what is in there.

I also took the filter off and covered the vent with a damp dish towel to blow the air through and filter it that way.

Stuck between "maybe it will get better over time" and "maybe if I can't get rid of it soon enough it will never go away"
 
I've had to deal with this before. My daughter went to warm something up one time and hit the zero 1 to many times and instead of 1 minute, she nuked it for 10 minutes. It was bad.

I microwaved vinegar and lemon juice with a little bit of water for around 5-6 minutes to get it really steamy in there and wiped everything down and took it apart and cleaned everything. It helped but for the next month or so I still got the "smoke" smell from the microwave. It'll disappear over time/use....it just stinks getting to that point.

Good Luck

Steve
 
It is an above the stove microwave, so yeah, it just vents back into the house (stupid...). There is a 5"x5" filter in there (but only on one side of the vent anyways, so I don't get it's point, no bracket on the other side) which I removed and took a deep smell of it. Didn't smell. Seems to be more from the fan assembly etc. I did reach my hand in there and wiped down the cylindrical fan assembly, but I am obviously only touch a small part of what is in there.

I also took the filter off and covered the vent with a damp dish towel to blow the air through and filter it that way.

Stuck between "maybe it will get better over time" and "maybe if I can't get rid of it soon enough it will never go away"


I'd still see about getting a new filter.

Note: As far as it being "Stupid" venting it back into the house:
I made kitchens with "Micro-hoods" over the stoves for 20+ years, and when I explained the choices of Venting to the outside or to the inside, most owners chose inside. The one that hits the hardest is (since we live in the North) Venting to the outside sends your costly heat outside for 6 months of the year. Might as well just throw your money out the Window.

Bear
 
I'd still see about getting a new filter.

Note: As far as it being "Stupid" venting it back into the house:
I made kitchens with "Micro-hoods" over the stoves for 20+ years, and when I explained the choices of Venting to the outside or to the inside, most owners chose inside. The one that hits the hardest is (since we live in the North) Venting to the outside sends your costly heat outside for 6 months of the year. Might as well just throw your money out the Window.

Bear
Mostly I call it stupid because it really doesn't do a whole lot. It sucks the air from near the stove and blows it out above your head. It goes through 2 "filters" that don't do much. Not going to help with smoke or an onion smell, etc. Since ours is the microwave hood it also runs vent anytime the microwave is running, full blast. It's just not my favorite setup.
 
I've had to deal with this before. My daughter went to warm something up one time and hit the zero 1 to many times and instead of 1 minute, she nuked it for 10 minutes. It was bad.

I microwaved vinegar and lemon juice with a little bit of water for around 5-6 minutes to get it really steamy in there and wiped everything down and took it apart and cleaned everything. It helped but for the next month or so I still got the "smoke" smell from the microwave. It'll disappear over time/use....it just stinks getting to that point.

Good Luck

Steve

My wife did the vinegar when I was at work yesterday, so I don't have the specifics on what she did, but she has done it before to clean etc. Will most likely try to do it a few more times. Unfortunate that it still has the chance to be like that for a month. She's a vegetarian so doesn't get to enjoy things what I smoke anyways, so this is just another nail in the coffin.

If it was a few weeks ago I would just open the house all up and run it like crazy to air it out faster. It was warm out then. Today it was 37º this morning.
 
Co worker made popcorn and hit wrong button and basically caught fire. Still smells year+ later. I vote new microwave. I store pellets in garage and don't do anything special and never found the need to nuke them.
 
Co worker made popcorn and hit wrong button and basically caught fire. Still smells year+ later. I vote new microwave. I store pellets in garage and don't do anything special and never found the need to nuke them.
before i microwaved I had a lot of issues keeping them lit.
 
before i microwaved I had a lot of issues keeping them lit.


It's mostly how you store them.
All it does is rain around here for the last few years.
However I keep my large supply of Dust & Pellets in Screw-type Jugs, and I haven't nuked a Single Pellet in 9 years of Problem Free AMNPS usage.

Bear
 
It's mostly how you store them.
All it does is rain around here for the last few years.
However I keep my large supply of Dust & Pellets in Screw-type Jugs, and I haven't nuked a Single Pellet in 9 years of Problem Free AMNPS usage.

Bear
Ive got some in ziplocks and some in a bucket with airtight lids.
 
I haven't done this before but you might try microwaving some baking soda and water together. They say baking soda is supposed to help get rid of smells so it might work. Someone at work suggested for the work microwave when an employee reheated some fish. Not sure if that is what they got to work or something else.
 
You can always burn a scented candle in the house until the smoke smell dissipates.

Chris
 
We used to use a spray called Oust the eliminate air odors . Worked pretty good , but not sure if they sell it any more .
 
I microwave my pellets (corn cob/pitmaster) for 2 minutes in a plastic Folger's coffee container; never had a problem.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky