Patty pan squash

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by olewarthog, Jun 5, 2009.

1. olewarthog

olewarthog Meat Mopper

A friend gave my wife a few patty pan squash.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They are about 8"-10" in diameter & look like they would be great to grill or smoke. Does anyone have any experience?

2. smokingscooby

smokingscooby Smoking Fanatic

Sorry never heard of them. sure someone will be along to help

3. the iceman

the iceman Smoking Fanatic

Wow, those are some good sized patty pans. I love those. I've never tried them smoked or grilled but it sounds good. [​IMG]

4. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This is the first I've hard of those type of squash. What do they taste like? Zucchini?

5. the iceman

the iceman Smoking Fanatic

They are also known as Summer Squash & have a fairly mild taste, similar to Crookneck / Yellow squash.

I bet ones that size would be good on the smoker hollowed out & re-stuffed with a mixture of the insides of the squash, eggs scrambled & shredded cheddar cheese.

Damn, I need to see if I can find some now. [​IMG]

6. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the clarification, Ice. In addition to zucchini I also love yellow squash. I'll have to check around the local farmers markets to see if anyone has some of these.

7. jjrokkett

jjrokkett Meat Mopper

Never heard of those but I sure like my spaghetti squash cut in half with some brown sugar sprinkled on them - these would be about the right size for nice little snack!

8. captmoby

captmoby Fire Starter

A little late for your post but I grow them, grill and smoke them all the time.
    Here is how I do it:

Hollow them out like you would a pumpkin, saving the top.
    I fill them with butter, brown sugar, shredded coconut, and pecans. Top with a bit of nutmeg and put the top back on. When grilling I wrap the bottom in foil. Pop them on the grill till done or put them in the smoker part way through a smoke. I eat them skin and all.
    Be creative they stuff well.

Captmoby

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have neither seen or heard of them things anywhere that I can recall but now you have intreeged me so I will keep an eye out for them and make sure you let us know how they came out.

10. In my experience, slightly firm and nutty flavor.  Excellent, though I have never grilled.  Great idea!!!