Patty pan squash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olewarthog

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 22, 2009
south GA
A friend gave my wife a few patty pan squash.

File:PetitPanSquash.jpg
280px-PetitPanSquash.jpg

They are about 8"-10" in diameter & look like they would be great to grill or smoke. Does anyone have any experience?

They are also known as Summer Squash & have a fairly mild taste, similar to Crookneck / Yellow squash.

I bet ones that size would be good on the smoker hollowed out & re-stuffed with a mixture of the insides of the squash, eggs scrambled & shredded cheddar cheese.

Damn, I need to see if I can find some now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the clarification, Ice. In addition to zucchini I also love yellow squash. I'll have to check around the local farmers markets to see if anyone has some of these.

Never heard of those but I sure like my spaghetti squash cut in half with some brown sugar sprinkled on them - these would be about the right size for nice little snack!

A little late for your post but I grow them, grill and smoke them all the time.
Here is how I do it:

Hollow them out like you would a pumpkin, saving the top.
I fill them with butter, brown sugar, shredded coconut, and pecans. Top with a bit of nutmeg and put the top back on. When grilling I wrap the bottom in foil. Pop them on the grill till done or put them in the smoker part way through a smoke. I eat them skin and all.
Be creative they stuff well.

Captmoby

I have neither seen or heard of them things anywhere that I can recall but now you have intreeged me so I will keep an eye out for them and make sure you let us know how they came out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky