Pastured Berkshire Culatello 2021 Second Winter Fog...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last edited:
Today was the big day! Pulled the culatello out of the fridge to case it in a hog bladder and truss it for drying. I was waiting on my whole muscle surface starter culture to arrive and it came in the mail this morning. I pulled out a bladder yesterday in advance so it could desalt and relax. I filled it with water 4 times and stretched it out...still looked small so I reached out to the pros on Marianski's forum. I used the search function there and found the info I needed- use an air compressor with a blow nozzle...low pressure and stretch the bladder with air.

So that's what I did. I went to harbor freight and bought a nozzle for $4 and will use it exclusively for charcuterie.

Brought the compressor up to around 20psi and inflated the bladder....nope, still not big enough. So, I pulled out a second bladder and got it soaking and stretched it out. Ended up having to use both. One gave me 3/4 coverage. After making the slit in the second bladder for it to fit over the Culatello, I pulled the second bladder over the Culatello with the slits 180* opposite each other and that worked.. had about 2-3" of overlap for sewing.
IMG_20211202_142345992.jpg

Then the fun began. Maybe I'm weird, but this really was fun for me...very relaxing as I had all my focus following Massimo Spigaroli's instruction (on youtube) and making sure to shape the piece as I went along. First time using natural fiber on salumi. Much more delicate than cotton...can't let it drag under tight wraps or fibers will unravel. I had ordered some hemp twine but it was coming from Romania (where all the European Hemp twine is made) and since Covid, it is back-ordered with the shipping issues. So I used 10# Jute.
IMG_20211202_150813409.jpg

IMG_20211202_152112031.jpg

I am happy with the shape. Much easier to get the proper shape using a bladder rather than collagen sheets. I have the Culatello hanging in my fermentation can for 24 hours to allow the meat to warm from refrigerator temps. and to help the mold get a good start. I transfer to the drying chamber tomorrow, then it'll be a 12-14 month wait...

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
The blow nozzle I bought from Harbor freight...I thought I put this in the above post...
IMG_20211202_105921535.jpg

Works really well inflating a hog bladder to stretch it, just don't over do it or it will rip.

Always watch all of your posts with interest. Thanks for posting all of your projects, and for the great breakdown of the process.

Best video I have found on youtube for Culatello....narrated by Mossimo Spigaroli himself....

Use the auto translate feature and click english...

Reactions: CJNL
Culatello Consorzio PGI regulations:
https://www.isitsalumi.it/en/consortium/consorzio-di-tutela-culatello-di-zibello/

I don't remember where I saw it at, but the "heat" phase of curing Culatello is 58-63*F. It was on an Italian site talking about Culatello...don't have the link. Once the piece reaches 32-33% weight loss, the summer phase begins. This is usually around July when aging in open air. The RH% is lower as well, 72-78%....

Coincidentally, my Berkshire Culatello should be about 32-33% sometime in July. It is losing 1% every 12-15 days and is at 22.75% weight loss now.

The heat accelerates the breakdown of proteins and fats...

I will transfer to my small drying chamber for this phase so I can bump the temps. up and not affect the other salumi I have drying in my main chamber.

Well, the Berkshire Culatello hit 30.04% weight loss yesterday so itis right on schedule. My new Maturing Chamber should be 100% complete by the end of July barring any shipping issues. I'll be doing some rearranging and will move the Berk.Culatello to the little fridge set @59*F; 75%RH for summer secondary Fermentation.

The Berk. Culatello has hit 31% and is now in the little drying fridge for about a month for summer fermentation phase....then will transfer to the new double door maturing chamber.

Well, the Berk. Culatello has hit 32% weight loss as of July 31, 2022. The slightly lower humidity and increase in temp. has increased the rate of moisture loss slightly. I'll transfer to the new maturing chamber in a month...

So I recently stumbled upon a treasure trove of information on Culatello in an obscure Italian research paper on the microbiota population on Culatello throughout the drying stages. It was an old paper from 1963. Not digital, it was images of the actual pages. This makes translation a bear! But, I did find a drying schedule table complete with time frames and temperatures. For fall Culatello production, drying in open air, the last 60 days (days 241-300) min T. is16*C; Median T.is 21*C; Max. T. is 23.1*C. This would be June and July in Polesine Parmense, Italy right before the Culatelli are transferred to the cellar (13-14*C:73-85%RH). SO.......

I have moved the Berkshire Culatello to my fermentation can with distilled water sprayed on the walls of the can. I have it at room temperature...will let that sit for a while. I will crack the lid for a couple hours a day to keep the RH 75-80%. Maybe hang it in the room for a couple hours a day to dry the surface a little to keep the yeast down. Then into the chamber. It has been in the can for 48 hours and WOW the Aroma!!!

The higher temps. accelerate the proteolysis and lipolysis and create and explosion of flavor molecules. Heat stressing the meat is one of the secrets to great Culatello.

The more I learn.....amazing.....

Last edited:
Also-this Culatello has already lost 35% weight....pretty much dry so now it is all about flavor development. Won't be ready for another 8 months at the earliest...

I'll add this here
As temperature increases so do the rate of enzyme reactions. A ten degree centigrade rise in temperature will increase the activity of most enzymes by 50% to 100%. Variations in reaction temperature as small as 1 or 2 degrees may introduce changes of 10% to 20% in the results. This increase is only up to a certain point until the elevated temperature breaks the structure of the enzyme. Once the enzyme is denatured, it cannot be repaired. As each enzyme is different in its structure and bonds between amino acids and peptides, the temperature for denaturing is specific for each enzyme. Because most animal enzymes rapidly become denatured at temperatures above 40°C, most enzyme determinations are carried out somewhat below that temperature.

https://www.creative-enzymes.com/resource/effect-of-temperature-on-enzymatic-reaction_50.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky