Pastrami Time - Sale - Stock Up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronp

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 27, 2008
I have a kroger store here, well many of them.
They send out flyers weekly and tonight they are
featuring Corned beef for the holiday.
Time to stock up! Not sure if the prices are the same
elswhere but this is the best week usually to get corned beef.

Just smoke em up and enjoy. Don't forget to do the fry pan test for saltiness first and soak if needed.
My last few were fine no soak needed.

Get the beer too, lol.
Good luck!

Sale price was $2.99 here in Fla.

I picked one up this past weekend.

Where I bought mine they had 2 brands. One was "Kosher style" and had a third less sodium than the other brand. The last one I bought was way to salty even after an over night soak in water. Check the label for sodium content.

Cool beans, RonP!

over here, "Safeway"...1.49 per pound for the store brand. that's the point

at other supermarket "Savemart" goes for 2.49 per pound. that's the flat

Which would you go for? I've only made pastrami from the pre-corned flat. The point is more fatty, right? Can you just trim it or is it more fat and connective tissue throughout? Which is more tender? Preferences? Thoughts?

The point is better than the flat, more fat and better tasting. More like bacon I guess. That's why you hardly see points sold at least here, cause they save them for corned beef, if that makes sense.

I have been waiting for Points to go on sale forever. You don't usuallly see Points for sale.

Just my opinion.

Our local Acme has point cut for $1.49lb. Will make sure to pick some up.
Have thought about trying to make my own corned beef but out of all the things the stores close to me carry one of the things they don't carry is saltpeter. I know it isn't required but if I am going to go through all that then I would like it to be pretty as well. Sale time means I will make a few more attempts at pastrami.
Hey ron, what do you mean by the fry pan test for saltiness? I have never heard of that.

The "fry test" is where you cut a little corner off and fry it up to see how salty it is. Again check the label for sodium content. Most are over 1000g per 4 oz.

they have sirloin tip roasts on sale this week at our local butcher
I like making my own corn beef out of them and then pastrami.
cost a little more but its a better cut and makes wonderful thin sliced corn beef and pastrami! 2.99 lb

I love Kroger- wish we had one closer. Our special at Brookshires which is a good one around here is $1.99/lb. I don't know the cut yet since it just calls it a brisket in the ad, but I'll be going up there today to check it out.
I'm also going to see if them or Wally goes on even more sale later next week to try to get rid of any they have left over. The downside is that they probably don't have to do that since the shelf life is so long on them.

I love pastrami! Now is such a great time for pre-corned beef! It's so easy too. If you haven't made pastrami, now is the time to try it! Good price and easy to do (especially if, like me, you're not ready to make your own from scratch)

Listen to the man RonP and get some! I'm definitely gonna try and stock up and do a couple for friends and family.

Ron, isn't that the point cut that's on sale in your ad?

Yes I just bought 2 and just put them on, will post soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky