Pastrami Q’s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
So I currently have a trimmed up and separated 13 lb packer in the fridges in pastrami brine that I got from this site. My plan is the 24 hr Sous vide/ smoke method. I’m going to sous vide first and then put the smoke on it. Couple of questions for the pastrami folks out there.

1. Is 10 days a good enough brine time? It’s not an overly thick flat or point.

2. I’ve researched both and I’m gonna Sous vide this one first and then put the smoke on it. Should I put the pastrami rub on before sous vide or wait until the 4 hours of smoke?

3. Smokin Al has a post where he smoked it first and then sous vide 24 hrs at 155 ish. If I Sous vide first and get the meat temp up to 155 and then smoke at say 225 for 4 hours, it seems that could lead me to taking it past the internal temp that I want for the pastrami?

The whole idea of the SV is so you can take a really tough piece of meat & get it real tender at a much lower temp. If you SV before smoking, you are defeating the whole purpose of the SV process. Also you will get a much more pronounced smoke flavor if you smoke it first, then SV it. I have done several of these & they always turn out good.
Al

The whole idea of the SV is so you can take a really tough piece of meat & get it real tender at a much lower temp. If you SV before smoking, you are defeating the whole purpose of the SV process. Also you will get a much more pronounced smoke flavor if you smoke it first, then SV it. I have done several of these & they always turn out good.
Al
Thanks Al, the guys on amazingribs
Al
Thanks Al, I understand your point. Amazingribs has a method where they Sous vide for 30 hours at 155 and then run and put smoke on it for an hour after. With your method of smoking first Al, are you looking for any particular temp before the Sous vide or just trying to get the color/bark that you’re looking for? And tell me again if not watching temp how long are you typically putting smoke on itTo get the bark you’re looking for?

Thanks Al, the guys on amazingribs

Thanks Al, I understand your point. Amazingribs has a method where they Sous vide for 30 hours at 155 and then run and put smoke on it for an hour after. With your method of smoking first Al, are you looking for any particular temp before the Sous vide or just trying to get the color/bark that you’re looking for? And tell me again if not watching temp how long are you typically putting smoke on itTo get the bark you’re looking for?

I smoke it to an IT of 150, it usually takes about 5 to 6 hours to get there. It has nice bark & a good smoke flavor. Then I put it in a vac bag & SV for 24 hours at 155. Believe me you won't be disappointed. Amazing ribs are doing it backwards. I know they are a very well respected site, but IMHO they don't understand the smoke/SV method. If you are not sure try it both ways & see which way you like it best!
Also put all your spices on the brisket before smoking it & leave them on when you SV it. you can even put some more spices in the bag & some butter. Do it both ways & then you can thank me for showing you the best way to do it!!
Al

I smoke it to an IT of 150, it usually takes about 5 to 6 hours to get there. It has nice bark & a good smoke flavor. Then I put it in a vac bag & SV for 24 hours at 155. Believe me you won't be disappointed. Amazing ribs are doing it backwards. I know they are a very well respected site, but IMHO they don't understand the smoke/SV method. If you are not sure try it both ways & see which way you like it best!
Also put all your spices on the brisket before smoking it & leave them on when you SV it. you can even put some more spices in the bag & some butter. Do it both ways & then you can thank me for showing you the best way to do it!!
Al
I’m going with you Al, will let you know how it turns out. Thanks as always for the Q wisdom

Al
Ok, let question so I get the most out of this beef. My plan was to brine/cure the brisket for 10 days in a pastrami brine I got from your recipe actually I believe. Problem is 10 days is falling right when we are traveling for Xmas. So my options are to take it out no longer than 7 days or wait until we’re back which is probably gonna her more are 14 day brine. I’m flipping g them in the brine every night. Would you go with pulling them and cooking at 7 days or letting it ride for the 14? Poor planning I know. Or are you splitting hairs and doesn’t really matter? We’re probably talking 10 lbs or flat + point after trim, and it wasn’t a think packer so probably 2 inches thickest section even in the point.

Ok, let question so I get the most out of this beef. My plan was to brine/cure the brisket for 10 days in a pastrami brine I got from your recipe actually I believe. Problem is 10 days is falling right when we are traveling for Xmas. So my options are to take it out no longer than 7 days or wait until we’re back which is probably gonna her more are 14 day brine. I’m flipping g them in the brine every night. Would you go with pulling them and cooking at 7 days or letting it ride for the 14? Poor planning I know. Or are you splitting hairs and doesn’t really matter? We’re probably talking 10 lbs or flat + point after trim, and it wasn’t a think packer so probably 2 inches thickest section even in the point.

No problem, let it go for 14 days., it will be fine, even if no one flips it.
7 days will not be long enough & you can let it go more than 14 days if you need to!
Al

No problem, let it go for 14 days., it will be fine, even if no one flips it.
7 days will not be long enough & you can let it go more than 14 days if you need to!
Al
perfect

Hey Al, what do you think is too long before I take it out for the bath. I know you said I could go longer than 14 but how long is too long?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky