PASTRAMI FOR A FRIEND

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm a few days into making my first Venison pastrami. I'm using a dry brine. I hope mine is half as good as yours looks!
Thanks! Ive not done a dry cure for pastrami but I have for bacon. I'm sure yours will turn out great!

Had a friend call me the other day and told me to pick up a venison roast he had thawed out and didn't have time to do anything with it. Said the wife wouldn't eat venison and he didn't want it to go to waste. So I figured instead of using it all for myself I would make him some venison pastrami. So I got it home and into the brine. I have always used @daveomak version he did a thread on a while back called "pastrami from scratch" . its pretty much the same with a few changes to the seasonings. Once its out of the brine I rinse it off and pat it dry. I like to rub it down with a good mustard before coating it with the seasonings. I like to take the internal temp to about 150° and hold it there for about 20 min. Starting out at low temps and slowly bringing it up as it smokes. Kind of like how you smoke sausage. Once its out of the smoker it gets a rest in the fridge for a few days before slicing. I didn't take a bunch of pics but I'll share them. Sorry for the blurry first few pics. I took them with my tablet and its got a crappy camera.

All rubbed down ready for the smokeView attachment 423588

Then out of the smoker and ready for a rest in the fridge for a few daysView attachment 423589

Then on to the slicer! Nice and thin just how I like it!View attachment 423590View attachment 423591View attachment 423592

Now its ready for some Rye bread and some mustard.

Thanks for taking a look!
Looks awesome, not venison obviously, but when you do passtrami with a brisket flat I’m assuming you remove the entire fat cap from the flat - is that accurate?

Looks awesome, not venison obviously, but when you do passtrami with a brisket flat I’m assuming you remove the entire fat cap from the flat - is that accurate?
I usually trim it yes. I like to use eye of round to do this with also. Its really lean and not a lot of trimming to do and its on sale a lot around here.

God that looks SOOOOO good!! I just love pastrami. Not much better than a hot pastrami sammie with melted Swiss cheese and a nice dollop of spicy horseradish mustard. I'll take two please :emoji_laughing:

Big LIKE for this one!!
Robert

God that looks SOOOOO good!! I just love pastrami. Not much better than a hot pastrami sammie with melted Swiss cheese and a nice dollop of spicy horseradish mustard. I'll take two please :emoji_laughing:

Big LIKE for this one!!
Robert
Thanks! Yep thats the way to make them! Especially is you have some smoked swiss tucked away!

Nice! I love pastrami! Matter of fact, I have some goose pastrami drying in the fridge that will hit the smokehouse tomorrow! My cousin has been asking me to do a batch of venison pastrami. I'm looking forward to it. Been making the goose pastrami for years, bet it is good with venison as well. Big like for me...

Nice! I love pastrami! Matter of fact, I have some goose pastrami drying in the fridge that will hit the smokehouse tomorrow! My cousin has been asking me to do a batch of venison pastrami. I'm looking forward to it. Been making the goose pastrami for years, bet it is good with venison as well. Big like for me...
Thanks! Never thought of using goose! You will have to share some pics when. It's finished up!

I don't do anything with geese anymore but cure them. Goose is actually better cured than venison is cured. Most people I know won't eat goose until I cured it. I have a few farmers that still won't try it again after eating it plain the first time.

I just cure it with bearcarvers recipe and cover with onion, garlic and table grind black pepper and smoke. Here was the first one with deer and goose as a trial run.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky