Pastrami 2nd time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scubadoo97

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Florida
My most recent pastrami attempt. A small 2.5 lb flat "kosher style" corned beef. Coated in a mix of black pepper, corriander and mustard seeds.

On the MES for way longer than I anticipated. MES set to 225* and it didn't hit 200 internal for near 8 hours. I placed it in a foil pan after it hit 170 and poured some water laced with mustard and some of the left over rub. Covered to let it steam the rest of the way.

I sliced it cold from the fridge this morning but the taste is spot on. Really good. Now I need to go get a nice big rye bread and we're set

That looks really good.
biggrin.gif
I'm hoping to give that a try this week.

I don't know much about pastrami but the color looks awesome. Says big time flavor to me.

That looks great. I have two corned beef flats in the fridge, but I don't think I'll be allowed to make pastrami. Saving it for St Patrick's Day.

Looks great! I just put my first ones in the MES. Your time is longer than I expected. Bump mine to 135 so I can eat this evening.

Very nice. Have one in the fridge about that size. What kind of wood goes good with this kind of smoke?

I didn't preheat the MES. Just stuck it in after doing the pastrami rub and turned the MES on and added wood. The MES was set to 225 and average internal temp of the MES was near 230. After 4.5 hours which was my anticipated finish time for this 2.5lb hunk of meat I put a temp probe in and found the temp was at 142. Kept it going and at near 165 the MES shut off. I had set it for a 6 hour smoke. We were eating dinner at the time. The MES dropped to around 198 and the meat temperature was 167 so I kicked it back on and pushed the temp to 275. I also put it in a foil pan with hot liquid and covered so it would steam the rest of the way. The last one I did was pulled at 190 but I found the meat near the center a bit chewy to my taste so I let this one go to 201 when I pulled it out and let it rest. Much better to me at this temperature. I let it cool in the fridge and sliced it cold. I could slice it paper thin with a knife if I wanted to without worrying about it falling apart.

I used a mix throughout the day of hickory chunks, apple chips, oak from my yard and sea grape also from the yard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky