Pistachio and Lemon Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I am working up a recipe to recreate Olympia Provisions Etna Salami. It is a classic Sicilian salami. I have the spices where I want them to be based off my other salami projects, the only question is the amounts of lemon zest and pistachios. I pulled the lemon zest amount from a German Lemon sausage recipe, and the pastachio quantity I pulled from the mortadella recipe on meatsandsausages. I think the lemon zest will be right on...not sure about the pistachios. That will be a game day decision based on appearance.

700g Lean Pork
300g Back Fat

22.5g Sea Salt
3g cure #2
2g ground white pepper
3g granulated garlic
1g dried tarragon leaves
6g Lemon zest fine dice
35g whole pistachios
3g dextrose
3g brown sugar
20mL dry white wine (Sauvingnon Blanc?)
1g Flavor of Italy starter culture in 30mL distilled water

10mm grind
Stuff-60-65mm casing, 18-20" long

Last edited:
Here you go Indaswamp. I have the OP cookbook. I will let you do the math for conversions but if you need any
other info just let me know.
I registered just so I could reply but that's the least I can do since I lurk the SMF site every day.
Good luck with the Salami... Cant get the scan to attach properly. Here is the recipe.
1.4 kg boneless lean pork
280 g pork fatback
starter culture
distilled water
2 g black pepper
40 g fine sea salt
8 g dextrose
3 g curing salt #2
60 g whole pistachios
7 g minced lemon zest
Bactoferm 600

Last edited:
Interesting combo of flavors. Too much Lemon Zest makes everything taste like the little packets of Handi-Wipes, Mom carried in her purse ☺...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Here you go Indaswamp. I have the OP cookbook. I will let you do the math for conversions but if you need any
other info just let me know.
I registered just so I could reply but that's the least I can do since I lurk the SMF site every day.
Good luck with the Salami... Cant get the scan to attach properly. Here is the recipe.
1.4 kg boneless lean pork
280 g pork fatback
starter culture
distilled water
2 g black pepper
40 g fine sea salt
8 g dextrose
3 g curing salt #2
60 g whole pistachios
7 g minced lemon zest
Bactoferm 600
Thanks for posting!

So...looking at that recipe, I was off by 1/3 on the amount of lemon zest. I went with white pepper, just a gut call for visual appeal. Thought it had tarragon in it, but I see it does not, so I will subtract that out. I was off by 0.7g on the amount of pistachios. The dextrose depends on the culture being used. At 0.47%, OP must use a slower culture. OP has 16.66% fat; I'll adjust to 80/20 lean to fat....

I plan on making this salami tonight so your posting of that recipe was very timely...much appreciated. I'll be up all night smoking a brisket and will need a project to stay awake so I'll be making this salami.

Last edited:
You are very welcome!
One thing I noticed is the meat and fat ratio. The OP recipe has 1400 g of meat and 280 g of fat. You
list 700 g of meat and 300 g of fat. Just saying...
If your ever interested in the OP book look online (ebay) versus buying direct- about half the cost. A good read and lots of recipes.
Happy New Year!

Reactions: indaswamp
Revised:

800g Lean Pork
200g Back Fat

22.5g Sea Salt
3g cure #2
1.2g ground white pepper
4.2g Lemon zest fine dice
36g whole pistachios
3g dextrose
3g brown sugar
20mL dry white wine (Sauvingnon Blanc?)
1g Flavor of Italy starter culture in 30mL distilled water

Fat 10mm grind, Lean 6mm grind
Stuff-60-65mm casing, 18-20" long

Last edited:
Reactions: cutplug
Thanks cutplug...
I was actually loaned the book by my butcher an I believe that is where I first saw the salami. Have been wanting to make it for a while so tonight is the night.

When I read your post last night I was like I wonder if that salami is in the book. I had it at work so
I had to wait til today to check. I was glad to see it was and happy to share.
BTW they call for Bactoferm LHP as a starter.
Good luck with the brisket and the ETNA.

Here we go...

Seasonings, wine, pistachios, and lemon zest ready to go...
IMG_20201231_210256.jpg

I tried to find whole raw pistachios but all I could find were halves and pieces. It'll work...

Fat through 10mm plate, lean through 6mm plate. I put the fat back in the freezer then added the seasoning, starter culture and wine to the lean meat to mix and extract proteins.
IMG_20201231_220136.jpg

Mixed..
IMG_20201231_220752.jpg

Now to add the fat in and mix well to distribute evenly...
IMG_20201231_220927.jpg

Now the pistachios and lemon zest...
IMG_20201231_221413.jpg

Up close without the flash...
IMG_20201231_221430.jpg

Final mix...
IMG_20201231_222634.jpg

And stuffed...

IMG_20210101_012301.jpg

Still need to truss them and hang to ferment. I covered them with plastic wrap at 11:30pm when I finished stuffing so I could get the fire lit in the smokehouse for the brisket I'm smoking all night for lunch tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutplug and Steve H
Thanks cutplug...
I was actually loaned the book by my butcher an I believe that is where I first saw the salami. Have been wanting to make it for a while so tonight is the night.
Those sound amazing.
Which book are you guys referring too?

Yup, that is going to be some fine eating!
I remember as a kid my dad would get baloney with pistachios in it. Good stuff!
Thanks for sharing the process IndaSwamp.
Hope you get some sleep before lunch!

FWIW, the mistake I made figuring the lemon zest is I pulled the quantity from a fresh sausage recipe. When making a dried sausage, you will lose at least 30% water weight, which concentrates the flavor....which explains why I was off by about 30%......

After hanging the Vicentina Sopressata to ferment, I checked the salamis in the chamber. The calabrese looked good, slight mold growth. The Pistachio however had yeast covering the casings. I had to pull them one by one and brush them down with some vinegar to remove the yeast. The high humidity from hanging fresh salamis in the chamber had to contribute to the yeast growth. I thought mould would naturally cover the salamis as I still had 2 pieces covered with mould in the chamber and mould on the walls in some places, but alas, that was not the case. So I used the rest of the mold 600 I had mixed up for the Vicentina to coat all the salamis in my chamber. I'm gonna let the chamber parameters settle and check it before I go the bed, then check it in the morning. I may need to wipe the bottom of the chamber out with paper towels after hanging the wet salamis.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky