Passion Fruit Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
The first thing you may be wondering is "why passion fruit" and my best answer is that passion fruit is good, most fruits pair well with pork and of course the most important reason which is why not?

Did 3 chops for each marinade.
While I was grabbing the passion fruit cocktail I decided to try out something called guanabana. Never had it before but figured I would give it a shot.
It was a bit lacking in flavor so I added a bit of brown sugar to that one.

Here is a flower from the passion plant

Really wild looking.
I let them sit in the fridge for about 4 hours, took them out of the liquid and didn't rinse.
Passion fruit chops are on the top.

Smoked over apple for about an hour and a half or so, they were kind of thin and so they ended up being a little more done than I like my pork but that's ok.
Passion fruit chops are on the left

The guanabana chops pretty much tasted like a plain pork chop would but the passion fruit ones were great. I was surprised at how well they held in the flavor. If you enjoy passion fruit you will love it on chops, or pretty much any pork for that matter.

Was also asked to toss a few on with my chipotle rub. Since this was a late request I rubbed them up and vacuum sealed for about an hour then smoked.
Only pic of the chipotle ones.

Also threw in a bag of dried rice and let it smoke for around 3 hours.
No cooked pics of the rice but it was very good and had a nice smoke flavor throughout.

Thanks for checking out my experimental pork chop post.

Excellent cook there, FiU! You come up with the most esoteric combos imagineable and you should start your own radio-cooking show, with cookbook to follow. I mean that sincerely.

The passionfruit chops sound delicious. Have tried both yellow and purple fruits and they are good. Not sure what guanabanaba is- a guava/banana mix?

No worries, both looked real good. Thanks for sharing your ideas and fine pictures.

Hey, also...what did you put in the rice? Looks like meat, but you rdidn't say. Looks tasty though, and never seen that mix around here. Looks like really good stuff. Nice meal!

Like rivet said you never quit amazing us with new combinations of flavors, marinades and rubs. I think I will just subscribe to all your threads and I will be full of differant things to throw at dinner guess.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Please keep up the good work.

Nice job FIU. Thanks for the new ideas and Qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky