Pancetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's Berkshire pork belly, cured, vac packed, for 10 days. Then coat the inside of the belly with coarse black pepper, roll it, tie it and hung for around 6 weeks. I don't have an ideal environment to hang/ dry consistently. So it's pretty much going by feel instead of weight loss. I don't have my recipe book In front of me for exact measurements but ingredients for cure:
Kosher salt
Juniper berries
Rosemary
Thyme
Sugar
Chili flake
Whole tellicherry peppercorns

That looks great. let mine go for bout 3 months. From 2.13 to about 2.6. Yummy. Still eating on it, tastier as time goes on.
icon14.gif

Since cure #1 is used, would this have to be hung in a fridge for the 6 week period? The reason I ask is because I'd like to make pancetta and I thought it would have to be cure #2 for a longer period?

(I'm still learning about cure #1 and have only read up on cure #2 so far)

Originally pancetta was meant to hang to dry for a long time. To be enjoyed as cold cut (not cooked). To make it compliant with SMF rules you will need to use cure#2 for that. However there are a lot of recipes out there for pancetta cured with cure#1, dried a little, but not too much and used in dishes (cooked). Pretty much a drier unsmoked bacon. How do you plan to enjoy it?

Thank you for the explanation. I'd love to have it as a cold cut, thinly sliced. So i will wait until I can use cure #2. One day I'll learn how to do that.

If I use cure #1 I would cook the pancetta in pasta carbonara for example.

Originally pancetta was meant to hang to dry for a long time. To be enjoyed as cold cut (not cooked). To make it compliant with SMF rules you will need to use cure#2 for that. However there are a lot of recipes out there for pancetta cured with cure#1, dried a little, but not too much and used in dishes (cooked). Pretty much a drier unsmoked bacon. How do you plan to enjoy it?

Since cure #1 is used, would this have to be hung in a fridge for the 6 week period? The reason I ask is because I'd like to make pancetta and I thought it would have to be cure #2 for a longer period?

(I'm still learning about cure #1 and have only read up on cure #2 so far)
You can use cure #2...   Use the same amount of cure #2 that you would use if using  cure #1....   Put the meat in the refer for a couple weeks while the cure #1 does it's thing, then hang in a 50 ish degrees area with about 75-80 % humidity and a very gentle breeze while it furthers drying...

Below is a pancetta thread by Evan Brady...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...steccata-and-pancetta-arrotolata#post_1354756

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky