pallette wood (oak)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbiker

Original poster
May 31, 2010
upstate South Carolina
Have a chance to get some oak pallettes. Would they be good for my Brinkman side box smoker I don't know if they treat the wood for rot etc. Don't want to poison anyone. any help would be appreciated.  Howie

Most (if not all) pallets are treated.  The treatment can be via chemical or heat.  This is an international law (it applies to all pallets shipped over national borders).  If it is chemical then the chemical used is methyl bromide.

Note that the treatment is not to make them last but rather to kill any insects/organisms inside the wood.

Last edited:
I would say no. If it wasn't treated when built somebody else may have sprayed some kind of chemicals on it while it was used and you may never know.

Reactions: biaviian
 I use em ta start the fire in the shop stove from time ta time, ya be amazed at some a the colors what come outa that wood in the flames.  That be different chemicals what have been spilt on them pallets.  Look clean, but ya just never know.  It just ain't worth the risk yall.

I say, probally better not as well.

Oh geezzzz, someone or something along the way may have took a leak on or near them. WOW, now that would be a really bad smoke!!

Ok  so I  have a question then... Why does everyone suggest to burnout their UDS drums with these contaminated pallets???  Some people wont use a drum cause it may have motor oil in it but will burnout a liner in a food grade barrel with questionable pallets???  I burnt the liner out of my drum with a weed burner...worked great. I was just wondering???

SOB

Because its free...and easy to come by...and burns well...and your not cooking over it...and you are burining at hi temp, not cooking at low and slow...by the way congrats on getting your liner out...i gave up on mine after about 8 pallets, a weedburner, and a sanding flap disk on my angle.  Thing was a beast.  Now its a trash can with intake holes on the bottom!  But i bought a WSM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky