Paint for the UDS

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by coffee_junkie, Aug 18, 2009.

1. coffee_junkie

coffee_junkie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Okay,
    So I know that Black BBQ paint can be used, but I have seen several drums that have a color scheme, what kind of paint is everybody using?

2. ddave

ddave Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

3. meat hunter

meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Any respectable smoker would paint that bad boy CHEVY ORANGE!!!. Oh yeah!!!

Any good high temp engine paint should suffice on a drum as I believe they are good for 1200 degrees if not more. If the paints bubbles up, then I would think you have more serious problems on hand LOL.

Don't forget the racing stripes[​IMG]

4. ddave

No problems at all at normal smoking temps -- even up to 350°+ for chicken or somewhat higher for grilling with the charcal basket on a middle rack.

But a full lit chimney dumped on top of a layer of unlit in the normal charcoal basket position, with the greasy middle grate on top of that to burn off the grease and all intakes wide open and the lid off . . . well, [​IMG] the paint didn't bubble, but it did discolor slightly around the bottom at about the charcoal grate level. [​IMG]

Dave

5. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

1200° ceramic exhaust paint, primer an clear coat. Wasn't cheap but sure do look nice!

6. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I recall from the BIG uds thread over at TBB they had said no need for high temp paints. Just use regular ol spray paint. I used both, high temp paint and regular ol spray paint. Both will work but reg paint is a whole lot cheaper.

7. ddave

That's true, but that's assuming that the drum never gets over regular smoking temps. Actually, there's no need for paint at all, really.

But let's just say you did want to paint it and, hypothetically speaking of course [​IMG], that the drum accidentally goes above, say 400° (or higher) on the side therm.[​IMG] Of course this would never happen [​IMG][​IMG], but if it did, like say someone didn't make sure they put the lid back on properly after they took the tri tips off, the hi temp is not bad insurance. [​IMG]

Oddly specific example, huh.[​IMG]

The Duplicolor stuff isn't bad price wise. I think I paid like $6 a can. I think I used 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of yellow. And it comes in such pretty colors. [​IMG]

Dave

8. coffee_junkie

Chevy orange would definatly be my style...but I was thinkin' camoflauge.

9. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

How will you find it when you need to use it? [​IMG]

10. coffee_junkie

Hmm good point..I will train my Labrador to sniff it out!

11. omnicef

omnicef Newbie

I don't think much training would be needed. I know I would be able to sniff it out! [​IMG]