• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

PA Dutch Hamburger BBQ

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
My wife being PA dutch calls this hamburger bbq, most call it sloppy joes. She ate it when she was a young Amish girl.......
I spent many years in Lancaster county, lots of this served at estate sales and such.

20211022_164510.jpg

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 21, 2012
Looks yummy whatever you call it. Any special seasoning combo you use?

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Looks yummy whatever you call it. Any special seasoning combo you use?
I dont know what she mixes it with...Its a secret Amish recipe....lol

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Mighty Familiar to me Rick!!
That name must be an Amish thing. All of My extended Family Members are Pennsylvania Dutch, and We all call it Sloppy Joes.
But Who Cares---I love it !!
All Mrs Bear does is Add "Manwich Original".
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
Looking good to me! Call it what you want if the taste is there!

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Looks good! I'm sure what it's called is regional but I don't care... they taste good! We like em with a slice of American cheese, my wife likes putting Lay's potato chips on hers too!

Ryan

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Good lookin sandwich . Whatever it is . LOl .

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 15, 2017
I've eaten many of those, good eats!

Last edited:

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks good. Growing up with a Coal Cracker, NEPA, Scranton area Mom, if she said, " We are having Barbeque for Supper..." This is what was served. Got to have Chips and Pickles on the side. My kids call it Hamburger Barbeque to differentiate from Low and Slow BBQ.
I'd have to look up the exact measurements of the ingredients, but it's basically Ground Beef, Heinz Chili Sauce, Spicy Brown Mustard, fine diced Onion, minced Garlic and Brown Sugar to taste. Some folks add Green Pepper and or Liquid Smoke. Saute the Veg, Brown the Beef, add remaining and Simmer to desired thickness...JJ

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Will have to ask her about recipe, its on one of her moms old recipe cards. Prob diff than some as its a Lancaster county recipe from who knows where.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks really good, I call them sloppy joe’s.
But who cares what you call them, we love them and as I said yours looks delicious. Hard to make a bad sloppy joe!
Al

chef jimmyj

Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
SWFLsmkr1 SWFLsmkr1 I'm looking forward to seeing an old Dutchy Recipe from your Mrs'. Below is what I and my crew grew up on...

Mom J's Hamburger Barbeque

4 Pounds Ground Chuck
2C Diced Onions
1Tbs Minced Garlic
1C Diced Green Pepper (Optional)*
2Tbs Veg Oil
2-12 oz Bottles Heinz Chili Sauce
1/4C Spicy Brown Mustard, Gulden's
1/2C Ketchup
2Tbs Molasses
2Tbs Brown Sugar
2tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Salt

Saute the Beef, Onions, Garlic and Green Pepper, if using, until Brown. Strain off Grease and return meat to the pot.
Add remaining Ingredients, bring to a Simmer and reduce to desired thickness.
I reduce until it no longer falls off the sides of a full Spoon.
Stir frequently. The thicker it gets, the greater the chance the meat sticks and the sugar burns.
Adjust seasoning. More Mustard if too Sweet or more Sugar to your taste.

Makes 16 to 20 portions on Hamburger Buns. It Freezes very well so worth making a big batch.👍

*Dad was not a fan of Green Peppers, so Mom left them out.😋 I add a 7oz Can of Chopped Green Chiles...JJ

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I've tried some recipes to get that "Manwich" fix. But never succeeded. I never thought about using Heinz Chili Sauce.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm also waiting to see the one from SWFLsmkr1 SWFLsmkr1 that looks downright tasty!

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Called sloppy joes here in Ohio but have a friend call them wimpy's. We're manwich folks but have tried lots of other recipes and all end up pretty much similar. Always wondered how it would taste made with actual BBQ sauce like Jeff's but never have. As was said, onion and cheese are good tweaks but my fave is a well toasted bun.

chef jimmyj

Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I've tried some recipes to get that "Manwich" fix. But never succeeded. I never thought about using Heinz Chili Sauce.
Make sure to add Green and/or Red Bell Pepper. They are high on the Manwich ingredient list. They also list " Chili Pepper " which could be who knows what variety. Maybe a teaspoon, or so, of Ancho Chili, Regular Chili Powder or Paprika with a touch of Cayenne would fit the bill...JJ

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I can see if she will give me the recipe thats on her moms old recipe card, its like dirt old.
HA

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Make sure to add Green and/or Red Bell Pepper. They are high on the Manwich ingredient list. They also list " Chili Pepper " which could be who knows what variety. Maybe a teaspoon, or so, of Ancho Chili, Regular Chili Powder or Paprika with a touch of Cayenne would fit the bill...JJ
Thanks Jimmy. Maybe that was the problem. I did use bell pepper. Perhaps not enough.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.