Overnight pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat magician

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Omaha Ne.
Last weekend I did a butt for Memorial day. I wanted to be done earlier in the day so I cooked it overnight. I started Sat by rinsing it off good and making a marinade for it.

I inject the meat first and then stick it in to marinate for 24 hrs.

For those interested in the marinade here is the recipe;
12 oz dark beer (I prefer Michelobe amberbock but any dark beer works)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tbls red wine vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp regular salt
1/2 tsp gground black pepper
1 tbls ground mustard
2 tbls granulated sugar
Heat to a simmer and allow ingredients to dissolve then let it cool. I usually double the recipe for meat over 4 lbs, after soaking it I save the marinade and use it to mop durring the last 4-5 hours of cooking.

After removing from the marinade I score the fat cap and rub down real good then let it sit for a few hours before smoking it.

Rub;
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic salt
2 tbls black pepper
2 tbls onion powder
2 tbls chilli powder
1 tbls ground sage
1 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme

Put it on around midnight and cooked through the night. Set a timer to get me up every hour to check fire and water. I smoked it with cherry for three hours and then charcoal only for the remainder of my cook. foiled it a 170 and took it to 200 before I took it off after 13.5 hrs Wrapped it in a towel and set it in a cooler to rest for 2 hours. It was still overr 150 when I pulled and it was great! I give about 2 lbs of it to my neighbors and they seemed to enjoy it, who knows maybe they were trying not to hurt my feelings, but they said they ate it up and really liked it.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
Thanks for checking this out, happy smoking boys ang girls
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Looks real good. How was the flavor? Would you do it that way again if not what will you change?

This one was the best I have ever done, I can't say I'd change anything, the brown sugar gave it a sweet taste at first but then the chilli powder and the cayenne would say hello to the tounge and give you a bit of heat. It was not real spicy seemed just right, for me anyways. I think the marinade really helped keeping it from drying out and injecting it first made sure to get some spice and flavor into the deeper parts of the butt. Some Ive done in the past other was were real good but the middle portions were a bit bland and that was not the case this time. I will definatly stck with this recipe for a while.

Setting a timer to wake you up every hour shows true dedication.

All night smokes bring back great memories. The best 'cue I've ever eaten was cooked by a caterer for fundraisers twice a year for my high school band.

Don't know how many butts he cooked, but he build about a 20' by 20' pit out of concrete blocks, built a fire about sundown and put on the butts at around midnight. Mopped 'em with a real mob.

Never had any trouble selling as much he he could cook. Probably cost about a dollar a plate back then.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky