oven or no oven????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokintexas88

Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Abilene Texas
i've been babysitting this 4lbs. brisket flat for 6 hrs. now. I have a baby char-grill offset temp has been hanging around 200 deg. to 275 deg. hadd to leave for about an hour and had the wife watch( or she was suppose to be watching) to get a thermometer, when i got back smoker temp was about 100(don't know what happened) internal temp of brisket is at  140 deg. and will not go up. Any suggestions or should i just try to save it in the oven? thanks guys 

Hello.  For next time please post these type questions in the beef forum.  You did nothing wrong, it's just that you stand a better chance of getting more advice.  I only saw it because I really don't have a life and spend far to much time on SMF.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Now for your question.  Dropping to 100 did no damage but will probably add to the cooking time.  You are also probably in the stall which lasts until the brisket says enough.  No harm or shame in adding some sort of Au Jus foiling and putting in the oven at around 325-350 until IT of 190 for slicing or 205-210 for pulling; especially since it is your first try.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

THANK YOU SIR. I THINK IT WAS THE STALL YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT BEEN ONLINE DOING RESEARCH SINCE THEN AND ALL LEADS TOWARDS THAT. THE TEMP IS RISING AND FAST NOW I THINK WE WILL BE OK JUST NEED TO GET THE HUNGER FAMILY HAPPY UNTILL IT IS READY!!! WILL HAVE PICS WEATHER IT TURNS OUT OR NOT. STAY POSTED

There will be no consensus on this one.

In my house, and in my house only?

It depends on how much smoke you like on your meat?

In our house we like a lighter smoke and a lighter bark.  So it is just choice a heat source after the desired smoke and bark develop.

Then again?  Placing the meat in an oven hotter than the smoke pit can change the outcome of your final product.

As stated, be prepared for wildly conflicting opinions.

Good luck and good smoking.

Smoke 1/2 time and wrap and into the oven. It works and who cares as long as it taste good and is tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky