Outdoor storage that fits WSM 22"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teebob2000

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hi all - just purchased a WSM and I'm now looking for a type of all-weather storage for it as I plan to keep it outside but want it protected from our Chicago winters.  I'll use it often this winter and would prefer not to shelp it in and out of the garage (unless I shouldn't keep it outside at all??).

Anyone have any luck with one of the outdoor storage deck boxes or tool sheds from Lowe's/Home Depot/etc they can recommend?  Ideally I'd like to squeeze it behind our gazebo where there's about 31" of clearance.

Thanks in advance!  This place rocks!

EDIT:  While I'm thinking of it, anyone rigged a kind of wheeled platform for their WSM so they can roll it around?  That would make it even easier on me!!

Last edited:
Do you mean something like this?

90cde845_10WheelMod02.jpg

The full view:

571ec686_12InShiningGlory.jpg

The wheels are the ones they sell for the roll around wire frame racks that are popular at the big box stores like Lowes.  You can get a set of 4 for about 29.00, the stem on the wheel is threaded (3/8ths, I think).  Drill a hole in the dead center of the leg.  Use washer on bottom, oversized fender washer on top with lock washer of course.  Crank down on the nut to shape the fender washer, it'll give better support.  Yes, it works great.  One of many modifications I've made to the WSM

~Dave

Check this link to the thread that has most of the modifications

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/109409/nwdaves-christmas-in-july-and-wsm-modifications

The first wheel modification you come across was discarded.  Didn't like the looks, although it worked just fine.  All the modifications weren't absolutely necessary (except for the holes for the thermo wires), but I think I took an already superior smoker, just the one step further. 

That's it exactly!!  Too sweet!  You make housecalls, Dr Dave??  
icon_lol.gif

No, not really.  However, all the modifications are something you should be able to find in your local hardware store. Actually, the toughest part was finding the hasps.  If you put wheels on the WSM, you really need to put the hasps on, especially if you're smoking at the time.  I did most of the mods while I was visiting my kids in Denver and it was nice and sunny during the day, but the afternoon heat thunderstorms and lightning display would roll in, and it was nice to roll the WSM into the garage.  It was then I discovered it would REALLY be nice to have hasps on the bottom to middle section.  Don't go small on the hasps, otherwise it may not hold adequately.  I'm only an email or site message away if you have further questions.

~Dave

Originally Posted by NWDave  

I'm only an email or site message away if you have further questions.

~Dave

You might be sorry you said that!!  
biggrin.gif
  What kind drillbit did you use for getting through the legs/sides cleanly?

As for storage I suggest building something with some plywood, quick, simple, and made to fit.
Yeah, but unfortunately with literally no home workshop, it's not quite that easy!  I figured getting a simple toolshed/deck box would cost about the same as equip/materials, and be MUCH less hassle...  The mods to the WSM I think I can probably manage OK.

Last edited:
You might be sorry you said that!!  
biggrin.gif
  What kind drillbit did you use for getting through the legs/sides cleanly?
No, always glad to help where I can.  Drill bit?  Sharp/New, next size up from diameter of the stem coming through from the wheel.  Hang on, I'll get you the details----tick, tick, tick, (electronic clocks don't have a tock).,  it's a 3/8ths stem. So you'd want at least the next size up from that.

Yeah, but unfortunately with literally no home workshop, it's not quite that easy!  I figured getting a simple toolshed/deck box would cost about the same as equip/materials, and be MUCH less hassle...  The mods to the WSM I think I can probably manage OK.
Something you might consider if you're just looking for a very temporary storage is a single garbage can storage unit.  Some are small enough to serve as a cover.  One thing I would suggest is if you go with something small, get a tarp and put it over it when the weather turns to those thrilling pictures we see on the tube of the winter storms you all have, while we're fighting the rain.  Oh, and you might consider some way of tying it down.  I hear it gets windy out your way.

Last edited:
On those full mod pix, are the temp probe eyelets the metal connection fittings for coax cables? 

EDIT:  And did you use anything special on the holes you drilled (sealer, fiber washers, etc) in order to head off possible corrosion of the exposed metal?
The eyelets are found in the lamp repair section of most big box stores.  They are the threaded fittings with holes in the center to allow the zip cord to pass through to the light section.  I use to know the technical names for all the components but ......I suffer from CRS.  ( Can't remember Stuff).

Possible corrosion?  Nope, nothing special because once you get that good ol' smoke on the fittings, (you do know not to clean the inside walls of your WSM, don't you?), the smoke residue provides plenty of protection.  To drill through the finish on the WSM, I use a centerpunch and made sure to have a real good indent before using a new drill bit to finish the job.  You probably notice that I keep saying "New drill bit".  Also be sure it's good quality.  New and good will give you a decent hole, quickly and insuring a greater chance of not cracking the surface coating.  Also, since I'm smoking on the average of twice a week, I'm always giving the equipment a quick inspection, looking for any potential problems (especially for critters)(spiders especially).  A note on sealers, btw:  You have to insure that any sealers you might be tempted to use is FOOD SAFE.  When you heat up a smoker or grill, the fumes being given off by a sealer could at the minimum taint the flavor of the meat or worse, create a poison that is absorbed by the meat, then consumed by your unsuspecting guests.  Your WSM will be sealing itself up by the time you've got 5-6 good smokes under your belt from the smoke residue depositing itself on the interior surfaces.

OK, got the wheels on!!  Woo-hoo!!  (pix coming shortly).

On the handles, I think I found the same handles (at Lowe's) on your rig, Dave.  Question:  I don't plan to use them for adding a sidetable, so is there any reason why I couldn't install the handles oriented horizontally instead of vertically?  It seems to me it would be much easier to lift the center section (esp with a full waterbowl and a 6lb roast on the grate?) with horiz handles.  Thoughts?

A note on sealers, btw:  You have to insure that any sealers you might be tempted to use is FOOD SAFE.  
What types of metals are food safe for the internal hardware (nuts/bolts/& such)?  Or, if the list is shorter, which are NOT food safe?

OK, got the wheels on!!  Woo-hoo!!  (pix coming shortly).

On the handles, I think I found the same handles (at Lowe's) on your rig, Dave.  Question:  I don't plan to use them for adding a sidetable, so is there any reason why I couldn't install the handles oriented horizontally instead of vertically?  It seems to me it would be much easier to lift the center section (esp with a full waterbowl and a 6lb roast on the grate?) with horiz handles.  Thoughts?
Yes, you could install the handles in the horizonatal position, HOWEVER, what if later you discover that having a side table would be sure handy for your tools, spritzer, temp gauges, etc, etc.  If the handles are in a horizontal position, you'll have an extra hole or two, when you reorientate the handles to accept the table wings.  Building the side tables is extremely easy.  Same store (Lowe's) I found pine panels wide enough for the project.  I can go into the details of that build if you want, but if you've got a jigsaw or scroll saw, you're good to go.

If you set up the fire section correctly, you place the middle section on the bottom section (empty water pan at this time), place pan in middle section, take a watering can ( I found a great 1 gallon metal watering can with a pouring spout (with removable sprinkle head) that I put the hot water into, then pour into the inplace water pan through the door.  Additionally, I don't fill the water pan to the top.  About a tad over 3/4 full.  During the smoke, I'll check water level and add hot water as necessary.  The new thing for the water pan is to use sand (playground sand) covered with foil.  The principle purpose of the water pan is to stabilize the heat, reducing the swings of temperature.  Many of our members are having great success with this technique as well as other non-water methods, so I'll be trying out those methods this winter time to see what I like best.  After the water pan is in place, then you add your grates,add your chamber and meat temp probes to the appropriate levels ( I use chamber temp probes for each grate level just cuz), add meat or veggies as appropriate, do not insert temp probes into the meat yet (you need to wait until the exterior surface of the meat has been exposed to 140* or higher for at least 30 minutes, any sooner could cause some nasties to be pushed into the interior of the meat).  TAKE YOUR QVUEs
biggrin.gif
, then close your lid.  I've found the recovery time of the WSM to be quite rapid (average of 10-15 minutes).  I guess the best answer is be organized when you load up the smoker.  Get your chamber temp up to the 200-225 temp.  Add water pan, grates, meat, probes, pictures.  Have everything next to you when you start and you're good to go. 

What types of metals are food safe for the internal hardware (nuts/bolts/& such)?  Or, if the list is shorter, which are NOT food safe?
I use stainless nuts, bolts, washers, etc (but this is a personal choice, not mandatory).  I avoid putting anything in the interior that has been galvinized.  Galvinized is the bad guy.  Take a look at the nuts and bolts that Weber used to assembly your smoker and grills.  Those are safe, obviously.

We having fun yet?
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
Guess what's for dinner tonight at my house......

Do you mean something like this?
Where did you find your pull hasps?  At my Lowe's (didn't look anywhere else yet) they don't have anything bigger than 2.5" which I wouldn't use.

OMG that's nuts!!!! 
77.gif
  Superb.  I think that would survive our winters...  and Antartica...  and the dark side of the moon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky