Orthoscopic shoulder surgery

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
So on Monday the ol' sawbones is going into my right shoulder to fix a labral tear. Has anyone had this? How long were you out of commission? I'm going to do a couple racks of ribs tomorrow before I get slung and bound. I just can't imagine going without smoking for any length of time.

Maybe I can pull off a smoke or two in my GOSM left-handed..

good luck and here's to a speedy recovery................if need be i can always stop by to start a chiminey of lump for ya!

Pit... good luck with the surgery and speedy recovery! All else fails you can sit in a nice loung chair near the smoker with a beer in hand and "instruct" your wife on how to run the smoker.... lol.

Thanx Rob! I'm gonna cut up enough pecan tomorrow while I can still start a stihl just in case..

JI, my wife has sent two le creuset dutch ovens to thier graves, there's no way she's touching my smoker.. Not even my UDS..
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
{ }

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have been lifting too much heavy lifting...  Have the wife do all the heavy work,  isn't that what they are for?.

Or is that why I have went through 3 of them?  Can't Remember...
icon_mrgreen.gif

cool.gif

I have a good friend that makes surfboards for me and alot of other folks too. He had that operation back in May and he's still not right. They are telling him that ha could be out for maybe another 6 monthes for him but he had a really bad tear in his shoulder. I'm sure that you won't be out that long. He is still making boards but his shoulder is still lame but getting better.

I wouldn't plan on playing quarterback for a while?

As to the wife doing all the heavy lifting?  Could be she got tired it and that is how he got his injury in the first place??  LOL

Pete good luck with the surgery

Thanx all. The wife does a bang-up job with the kids while she keeps a part-time job, she just can't cook. I think I messed up my shoulder pulling torques on our landing gear bolts. I'm looking forward to the surgery if it relieves this nagging pain in my shoulder. It kinda feels like I got kicked hard by a horse in the back of my shoulder. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled last year and I can't imagine this could be worse. I'm terribly concerned about having my right wing bound to my side though..

Jerry, how have you been lately?

Doing good thanks. I think you may find this a little worse than the teeth as far as the healing process but the good news is you'll be able to eat if you can get somebody to cook it for you
biggrin.gif
  If it were me I think I'd smoke up a bunch of stuff and freeze it and just try to get the wife to heat it up for ya maybe get an electric rice steamer it'd be hard for her to screw up re-heating it that way
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanx Rob! I'm gonna cut up enough pecan tomorrow while I can still start a stihl just in case..

JI, my wife has sent two le creuset dutch ovens to thier graves, there's no way she's touching my smoker.. Not even my UDS..
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
{ }
2 high end DO's,?? i can't say she would still be my wife.....it sounds like you are a much better man than i!
points.gif
it sounds like yer taking things in yer own hands, if ya need anything just let me know.

Hope everything goes well, and you're back as quick as possible!

Maybe you can set a recovery record!

Bear

If it were me I think I'd smoke up a bunch of stuff and freeze it
 Good idea. Maybe I'll buzz up to the store and get a chuckie to put in the drum with the ribs today..
  if ya need anything just let me know.
 Will do my friend, thanx..

My bowhunting buddy had that surgery a few years back. He wore the sling for a couple of months, more off than on. Still he didn't get full strength back for a couple of years. He used a crossbow in the meantime, but he was still able to do most chores without too much trouble. I'm sure he could have been smoking after a couple of weeks down time. Good thing he never tried. That guy can't cook microwave popcorn without messing it up. I tried to have him cut up stuff for a salad once. Worst salad I ever had. How do you do that???

My bowhunting buddy had that surgery a few years back. He wore the sling for a couple of months
 Another reason why I'm concerned. I just got a new bow for Christmas and i have a deer and an elk tag to fill in OCT and Nov. No archery for sure but I'm hoping to be able to fire my .25-06.. It'll be worth the pain for the meat.

Good luck on the surgery; you will surprise yourself at what you will be able to do one-handed however.  After my stroke and having my primary hand temporarily totally dead for a few months, I was still able to do most functions with the other hand including typing one-handed, lifting, pulling tugging, etc.  I've had many hand injuries also (cut off fingers, slices, stitches, etc.) as a meatcutter and likewise found ways to do most anything; in some ways its fun to see just what you can do.  Just don't do things you're not supposed to that would in any way affect your healing.. that's what you're home for to get better at maximum capacity.  Even bought a cheap pair of shoes at WM that had velcro closures instead of ties (could have used loafers but have to high an arch and they kill me) so I didn't need help getting dressed.  Get better soon and eat lots of green vegetables, great to speed healing.

good luck and here's to a speedy recovery................if need be i can always stop by to start a chiminey of lump for ya!
Just be careful if you do stop by- he just might pull the same trick on you he did with me and trap you in a very small space with the kitchen table so you cant get at too much of his food. Oh he puts out a great spread for sure - he just makes sure you cant get to it - he then trys to tell ya he was afraid of how much you were gonna eat
biggrin.gif

Thanx alot all. I'll definately have plenty of time to hang around the ol SMF that's for sure..

Just be careful if you do stop by- he just might pull the same trick on you he did with me and trap you in a very small space with the kitchen table so you cant get at too much of his food. Oh he puts out a great spread for sure - he just makes sure you cant get to it - he then trys to tell ya he was afraid of how much you were gonna eat
biggrin.gif

maybe next time i'll let ya out from being pinned.....................

..................only if ya have one arm tied up in a sling!!!!!!!

PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
 i'm no fool!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky