Orange wood smoked chicken on my WSM (already have Q-view for yall)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pcmyers23

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Texas
Went by Academy a few days ago and picked up an assortment of wood (pecan, peach, orange and oak). Didnt even know orange was an option so Im not sure what to expect. So far cherry wood has been my favorite and my taste testing crowd has agreed. The rub is just olive oil, salt, pepper and some paprika bc I like the color. Experiment time!

Looks nice, at what temp are you running your smoker?
I like to run it between 300-350 for chickens but its sittin at 270 right now. Went and cracked some vents so hopefully she'll jump up here in a minute.

What temp do you smoke chickens at?

PC that looks good to me nice simple rub. Let us know how the Orange taste.

No Q-view update but Ive got quite the crowd on the lake tonight. Have a ton of ducks and even a few pelicans! Pretty rare I think down in Texas..these suckers are HUGE. I call them the SUV's of the bird world. Couple pics bc Im just waitin.

Pulled them right at 165* love my maverick. As far as the orange wood goes it was a light smoke flavor but I was a little disappointed the flavor wasnt deeper. Chickens were still awesome and crazy juicy. Cherry wood is still the gold standard for chickens. Snapped a few pics before I had to put the phone down and eat. Thanks for watchin.

Reactions: dannylang
nice looking yard birds pc, i have never use any orange wood, very interested in the way that turned out. good looking thread and pictures, and the recipe here is a keeper, thanks

dannylang
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What kind of flavor did the Orange wood give the chicken?

Gary

What kind of flavor did the Orange wood give the chicken?

Gary
It was very subtle. We liked it but I wouldnt have been able to guess it was orange wood. No citrus flavor or anything exciting like that. Trying pecan or peach next.

nice looking yard birds pc, i have never use any orange wood, very interested in the way that turned out. good looking thread and pictures, and the recipe here is a keeper, thanks

dannylang
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Thanks! Really cant go wrong with chickens on the WSM. Always come out so dang juicy.

Both Pecan and Peach are some of my favorites  Peach is very very mild I use mostly pecan every one seems to like it the best

Gary

Both Pecan and Peach are some of my favorites  Peach is very very mild I use mostly pecan every one seems to like it the best

Gary
Pecan was voted next by the taste testers. Thats kinda what Im expecting after trying a few fruit woods, was hopin theyd be better but thanks for the input. May be a few days before I get to smoke again bc Im helpin a buddy that just bought his 1st house. Gotta pretend I know how to remodel things.

If you want more smoke penetration try going low and slow for the first three quarters of the cook and then either jack the temp or move the chicken down closer to the fire. I do this with great success in my drum. Dat yardbird looks tasty!

Last edited:

If you want more smoke penetration try going low and slow for the first three quarters of the cook and then either jack the temp or move the chicken down closer to the fire. I do this with great success in my drum. Dat yardbird looks tasty!
I will keep that in mind and probably give it a try with the peach wood when I get around to that. Thanks!

I'm gonna have to find a few sources if it's really that easy. Y'all have great ideas round here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky