Opinions needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daddyzaring

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
I got a Gift card for lowes, and figured I'd get another smoker.  I am looking at the 30" MES, and the Master Forge Double Door Propane Gas Smoker .  I was hoping I might get some opinion, on which is a better smoker.

Lowes sells MES ???

Never mind---I just looked ----MES 30" for $ 179

Anybody finds a deal on a MES 40, let me know.

Daddy,

That is your option, but I would naturally go with the MES.

You'll get all kinds of opinions on this, but a big percentage will tell you MES---from mostly those who own & love them.

Bear

Last edited:
I went ahead and got the MES.  I have a Charcoal GOSM, and a big cabinet I am still needing to convert to a smoker.  I was kinda leaning towards the electric, so I had something to fall back on if I happen to run out of charcoal and/or gas.  I really like the way the MES is built too,  It looks alot like a small fridge.

Can someone tell me if you can cold smoke in these?  I really want to smoke some cheeses.  Basically this was free, I got the card from something I filled out online awhile back, quite awhile, don't remember what it was exactly either. LOL  Thanks for the opinions guys.

If you want to smoke cheese, the best way IMO is to get an A-MAZE-N-SMOKER smoke generator. There are other smoke generators, but IMO this is the best one. I use mine for everything, hot or cold.

If you have an MES 30 or MES 40, that's the only other thing you should need to smoke just about anything.

You'll love it,

Bear

If you want to smoke cheese, the best way IMO is to get an A-MAZE-N-SMOKER smoke generator. There are other smoke generators, but IMO this is the best one. I use mine for everything, hot or cold.

If you have an MES 30 or MES 40, that's the only other thing you should need to smoke just about anything.

You'll love it,

Bear
I too have stopped using my chunks at all - I only use the AMS to generate the smoke - still use the heating element for the heat

Happy smoking

I can't really aford an AMAZIN smoer atm, the only reason I got the MES was because I got a $250 lowes gift card for free, and lowes was all out of window ACs in that price range.  So is that a yes or no on being able to smoke cheese in a MES?

With you left over money on your card, go buy something and return it later for the cash.  Take that cash and get a Amazin

I can't really aford an AMAZIN smoer atm, the only reason I got the MES was because I got a $250 lowes gift card for free, and lowes was all out of window ACs in that price range.  So is that a yes or no on being able to smoke cheese in a MES?
You can still do cheese. It is just a bit more cumbersome. You can put a big pan of ice in with it to keep the temps down and you can also not use any heat except for a couple of briquets lit in a pan with chips or you can even just ligt a couple of chunks in a pan and replenish them as needed

The reason we recommend the AMS is that it  runs around $30 and is very handy to maintain the thin blue smoke for a good long period of time. I would recommend adding it to your Christmas list
icon_mrgreen.gif

They only refund with giftcard if purchase is made with gift card, or there's no receipt.

With you left over money on your card, go buy something and return it later for the cash.  Take that cash and get a Amazin
The price has come down on those since I last looked.  They were like $49.

You can still do cheese. It is just a bit more cumbersome. You can put a big pan of ice in with it to keep the temps down and you can also not use any heat except for a couple of briquets lit in a pan with chips or you can even just ligt a couple of chunks in a pan and replenish them as needed

The reason we recommend the AMS is that it  runs around $30 and is very handy to maintain the thin blue smoke for a good long period of time. I would recommend adding it to your Christmas list
icon_mrgreen.gif

Any tips or neccessary mods for using this?

I got a ton oof meat to break this in with too.  I have a huge pork loin, and a few small ones (hoping to try making Canadian Bacon with a couple of the small ones), I have a big pork butt, and a chuckie to practice for the pork butt, about 60 lbsof hamburger to make burgers, meatloafs through this month, and 20 fatties for the 9th of Oct.(will also be using my GOSM charcoal too), and I have a couple big sirloin steaks too.  Next month I hope to get the 6x6 AMNS to do some cheeses.  I also have 5 big tubes of JD sausage for gravy, patties, and fatties.  So Like I said any tips at all are very welcome.  ty

Last edited:
Just finished putting together, got some errands to run then will season it.  Couple question, is it okay to cook in it while seasoning it, and is there any good way to keep the drip pan lined up with the drain hole?  ty

Just finished putting together, got some errands to run then will season it.  Couple question, is it okay to cook in it while seasoning it, and is there any good way to keep the drip pan lined up with the drain hole?  ty
No don't cook in it while seasoning.

You are burning out any oils and other things that may be in there from manufacturing. Follow the directions for seasoning (High heat then add wood chips to get some smoke in it).

After doing all they tell you, you'll be ready to make some great smoked food. Get your camera ready too.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Drip pan? If you're talking about the exterior, long narrow pan, it should fit right on some hangers on the back, causing it to be just under the drain hole.

If you're talking about the big bottom pan that covers the whole floor, doesn't it just line up by itself? I never really looked, but mine seemed to line up without any problem.

Maybe someone else can give a better answer than mine.

Bear

Last edited:
daddyzaring

You really do need to burn off the oils from manufacturing.  After mine cooled, I took some PAM and sprayed it on the inside walls, and wiped it around with a paper towel, to season it, then fired it up to 250 and let the oil do it's thing.  It's like seasoning a cast iron pan.  I think it's easier to clean, but just my opinion.

Todd

Hi,

With all that meat, you will need a professional meat taster, I am ready.
icon_redface.gif

The drain hole lines up fine on mine. I like to line the base tray inside with foil, and put a hole in it, so it drains.

I have been meaning to foil the out side tray also, then I don't have to wash it.

Hi,

With all that meat, you will need a professional meat taster, I am ready.
icon_redface.gif

The drain hole lines up fine on mine. I like to line the base tray inside with foil, and put a hole in it, so it drains.

I have been meaning to foil the out side tray also, then I don't have to wash it.
Yup,

I didn't do that for the first bunch of smokes. Then I had to use oven cleaner & a pressure washer to clean it.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Live & learn. Foil is in it now!

Foil = GOOD!

Sucks to learn the hard way, but we all do anyways!!!

Todd

I echo the recommendation to get a A-Maze-N smoker and sawdust for cold smoking cheese.  I have the MES30 and over the years tried a number of things to do cheese.  Mostly, I just got puddles of melted smoked cheese.  My MES30 is an older model and does decent smoke level at 225F and up, but even at 140F it does not produce any smoke to speak of.  Your cheese will start to melt and sag at 80-90F.

Go to the cold smoke, cheeses forum and look at the entries there.  They should be enough to convince you -- but don't bother trying to cold smoke in the MES30 without the A-Maze-N smoker (or some other alternatives that cost much more).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky