Opinion needed on venison sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbob73

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Making a batch this weekend to this recipe...

4 #          Fresh venison

1 #          bacon ends

1 tbsp     Mustard Seed

2 tbsp     Sugar

4 tsp       minced garlic

2 tbsp     Black pepper

1 tsp       Dry mustard

1 tsp       Allspice

1 tsp       Coriander

1 tsp       Marjoram

1 tbsp     Sage

1 tbsp     Salt

2 tsp      red pepper flakes

1 cup      red wine

My buddy thinks I should skip the sage and use paprika and nutmeg instead, and replace the wine with beer.  what say you guys?

I think you need more fat content.  Sage is usually for breakfast sausage.

Also, make a small batch and test-fry, it's really the only way to get it right.

Or, use "The King of All Venison Sausage" recipe at Lets-make-sausage.com.

It is a really good recipe.

You need a minimum of 20% fat and if you are using venison I would add 2# of pork butt with that 4# of venison AND another 1/2 # of pork fat if the butt is lean.

Bacon ends are a waste of $$ IMO unless they are free and scraps, but you still need some fat..

Red wine (that is a lot too) will put a strong and possibly off bitter taste in the finished product.  If you want some tang use white wine or plain vinegar ... about 3 Tbs. if you don't have any ECA.  Careful with the ECA and grinding.

I'd dial the pepper flakes back 50% until you make a batch ... lots of heat there and with the mustard seed = may explode under pressure in the stuffer !

Delete the sage

Are you going to be smoking this??? or Fresh sausage?? If smoke you will need cure. 

Good luck and let us know and send some pics our way also 

OK adding some pork and tweeting recipe. Stuffing this weekend. Picks to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

New recipe as follows

4 lbs venison
2 lbs pork
1 1/2 lbs bacon
3 T garlic
2 T salt
2 T black pepper
2 T sugar
2 T mustard seed
2 t dry mustard
2 t allspice
2 t coriander
1 t marjoram
2 t red pepper flakes
1 t mace
1 t ground nutmeg
1 T paprika
1 cup water
2 T red wine vinegar

I ground this batch twice. I like the texture I got.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky