Opening Day at Alex Box Stadium ........ ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm with Brian on this dish....  I'd eat it...   
2thumbs.gif

Is that a light Roux I see as the sauce ??    Imagine that....

You can keep the oysters,I'll take extra sausage! Looks great!
You know those oysters make ya live and love longer. I love oysters especially on the half shell. I sort of doubt the next generation will get to eat any as they are the filters of our polluted waters. I used to buy a bag on the way home on Fridays (they sell as sacks and 1/2 sacks), 7.0 to 10 dollars tops. Pop and I would sit on the picnic table, I'd suck 'em and he'd use a hammer and beat 'em to death. But we'd drink cold beer and talk. we'd eat all we wanted on the half shell and then shuck to the bowl for Mom to cook something with.

After so much teasing Pop engineered and built a lever system with a spike on it to split open the oysters...LOL  I don't think it works too good but it sure was a conversion starter...ROFLMAO!! I need to find that and get a picture of it....... Pop could engineer anything, or he thought he could anyway.

2thumbs.gif

Thank you Dave

Seafood Gumbo, fish is a light flavor can't stand a heavy or dark roux or a bunch of garlic either. Me thinks you're just testing me....LOL

Awesome looking plate, I'm drooling all over myself!!!!

Points to you!

Al
Thank you sir

Its hard to go wrong with deep water white shrimps, blue crabs and some Pecan Island oysters.

Last edited:

2thumbs.gif

Thank you Dave

Seafood Gumbo, fish is a light flavor can't stand a heavy or dark roux or a bunch of garlic either. Me thinks you're just testing me....LOL
Not really...   I wouldn't test the King of the Roux...    What was the Roux made from....   Flour... bread flour, AP flour, Cake flour, Rice flour.......  water, beer, wine, fish stock...   pork fat, beef fat, butter, lard...

I'm thinking, a perfect seafood dish like this requires a special Roux to elevate it to perfection...

Last edited:

Not really...   I wouldn't test the King of the Roux...    What was the Roux made from....   Flour... bread flour, AP flour, Cake flour, Rice flour.......  water, beer, wine, fish stock...   pork fat, beef fat, butter, lard...

I'm thinking, a perfect seafood dish like this requires a special Roux to elevate it to perfection...
Unbleached flour and bacon grease = Roux, I always boil the shrimp shells after peeling, for the flavor and use that in anything I am cooking with shrimp. You add a couple of split she-crabs early in the stock to get the crab flavor started even though they are mostly plated for the visual appeal. I added about 6 oz. of crab pick  to it just before serving when I also added the oysters. Although you add the oyster liqueur earlier in the cook. Oysters are like squid, they either are a very quick heat or a very long cook because everywhere in the middle they are tuff tuff tuff. Come to think of it, so are the shrimp. They just have a shorter middle span. LOL

Like a bouillabaisse or a Cajun court bouillon {pronounced COO-bee-YON or COO-bee-ON} or a Coubillion, these are example of a chef's esides the love, the most important part is knowing how each seafood needs to be cooked to offer the most appeal to the dish. They should all climax to the same bite and texture and release the most flavor,& aroma just as they are presented.

Now that's why Chefs go to school, anyone can cut there ingredients the same size.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
Thanks Kevin...  That sounds perfect to me....   Now I know for sure you are not just "one more pretty face"...   You really do know what you are doing...   Every ingredient perfect to the tooth...   Sounds so delicious I can almost taste it....   But I knew that when I saw the picture you took of it....    Beside it being plated in the "good stuff".....     You are amazing....  
2thumbs.gif

Thanks Kevin...  That sounds perfect to me....   Now I know for sure you are not just "one more pretty face"...   You really do know what you are doing...   Every ingredient perfect to the tooth...   Sounds so delicious I can almost taste it....   But I knew that when I saw the picture you took of it....    Beside it being plated in the "good stuff".....     You are amazing....  
2thumbs.gif
        I'm not that smart, I just do what I have seen others do..... LOL  But don't tell on me. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky