OMG!! Tortilla Breakfast Quiche w/ Homemade Sausage (Pics & Recipe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
**DISCLAIMER: Don't let the word "quiche" fool you. This is not some foo foo yuppie dish. It's a serious meal for serious appetites**

Soooo.....mama headed off to church yesterday morning and I did the unthinkable: I started thinking. I tend to try not to do this very much, as little as humanly possible actually. Seems like every time I think something goes awry and I wind up having to fix it. Not this time though :) We only eat breakfast together on the weekends and missed Saturday for working in the yard. I was determined to make up for that lost meal by doing something really over the top. Checked the freezer, the fridge, and the pantry. The cogs started turning and here is what I came up with (recipe to follow).

Base ingredients for the filler. Cooked breakfast sausage, cheese, Ro*Tel tomatoes with green chilies, and a mixture of eggs, cottage cheese, and buttermilk
IMG_20180311_092033.jpg

9x9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and lined with torts. Used a burrito sized one for the bottom and cut smaller torts to line the sides
IMG_20180311_092857.jpg

Add the sausage
IMG_20180311_092929.jpg

Add cheese
IMG_20180311_093023.jpg

Ro*Tel tomatoes
IMG_20180311_093115.jpg

Egg / cottage cheese / buttermilk mixture
IMG_20180311_093220.jpg

Healthy shot of fresh ground black pepper
IMG_20180311_093303.jpg

Top with chopped green onions
IMG_20180311_093344.jpg

Done!!
IMG_20180311_102024.jpg

Money shot....oh baby!!
IMG_20180311_102509.jpg

I guess I'm just not considered a quiche kind of guy because I believe my wife thought I'd burnt my last brain cell when I told her we were having quiche for breakfast....right up to the point that she took the first bite. She looked at me, her eyes got big as saucers, and she said "OH MY GOD!! This is incredible". Made a believer out of her...hee hee hee. I can't begin to tell you how fantastic this dish turned out. It was very rich and filling with an unbelievable complexity of flavors and textures. It was a culinary symphony if ever I've created one :)

Here is the recipe:
  • 5 flour tortillas
  • 5 eggs - beaten
  • 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (heavy cream or evaporated milk will work)
  • 1 cup Bellafoglia shaved Parmesan (any white cheese will work)
  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese - shredded
  • 1 10 oz.can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chilies (drained)
  • 5 green onions (scallions) chopped
  • 1 pound pork or turkey breakfast sausage (cooked and well drained)
Spray 9x9 baking dish or pie pan with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortillas in the bottom so they overlap and extend about 1/2 inch over edge of pie plate. Lay fifth tortilla over the middle.
Brown the sausage and drain it well. Place sausage, tomatoes, and cheeses on top of tortilla crust. In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, cottage cheese. Pour the egg mixture slowly over ingredients in crust. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped green onions.

Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.

That's it. This is a very simple dish to prepare and only takes 15 minutes or so to get it ready. I got everything ready while the sausage was cooking and as soon as it was done, it was a 5 minute process to put everything together. Beware though, as dense as this stuff is, when it gets finished cooking it is VERY hot inside and will light you up if not careful.

Still got my last brain cell,
Robert

Last edited:
Man that looks good! Good write up and thanks for the recipe.

My wife and I are trying to do the whole keto thing, so I’ll have to give this recipe a try. A little tortilla never killed anyone.

**DISCLAIMER: Don't let the word "quiche" fool you. This is not some foo foo yuppie dish. It's a serious meal for serious appetites**

Soooo.....mama headed off to church yesterday morning and I did the unthinkable: I started thinking. I tend to try not to do this very much, as little as humanly possible actually. Seems like every time I think something goes awry and I wind up having to fix it. Not this time though :) We only eat breakfast together on the weekends and missed Saturday for working in the yard. I was determined to make up for that lost meal by doing something really over the top. Checked the freezer, the fridge, and the pantry. The cogs started turning and here is what I came up with (recipe to follow).

Base ingredients for the filler. Cooked breakfast sausage, cheese, Ro*Tel tomatoes with green chilies, and a mixture of eggs, cottage cheese, and buttermilk
View attachment 357092

9x9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and lined with torts. Used a burrito sized one for the bottom and cut smaller torts to line the sides
View attachment 357094

Add the sausage
View attachment 357095

Add cheese
View attachment 357096

Ro*Tel tomatoes
View attachment 357097

Egg / cottage cheese / buttermilk mixture
View attachment 357098

Healthy shot of fresh ground black pepper
View attachment 357099

Top with chopped green onions
View attachment 357100

Done!!
View attachment 357101

Money shot....oh baby!!
View attachment 357102

I guess I'm just not considered a quiche kind of guy because I believe my wife thought I'd burnt my last brain cell when I told her we were having quiche for breakfast....right up to the point that she took the first bite. She looked at me, her eyes got big as saucers, and she said "OH MY GOD!! This is incredible". Made a believer out of her...hee hee hee. I can't begin to tell you how fantastic this dish turned out. It was very rich and filling with an unbelievable complexity of flavors and textures. It was a culinary symphony if ever I've created one :)

Here is the recipe:
  • 5 corn tortillas
  • 5 eggs - beaten
  • 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (heavy cream or evaporated milk will work)
  • 1 cup Bellafoglia shaved Parmesan (any white cheese will work)
  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese - shredded
  • 1 10 oz.can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chilies (drained)
  • 5 green onions (scallions) chopped
  • 1 pound pork or turkey breakfast sausage (cooked and well drained)
Spray 9x9 baking dish or pie pan with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortillas in the bottom so they overlap and extend about 1/2 inch over edge of pie plate. Lay fifth tortilla over the middle.
Brown the sausage and drain it well. Place sausage, tomatoes, and cheeses on top of tortilla crust. In a bowl, mix eggs, cream, cottage cheese. Pour the egg mixture slowly over ingredients in crust. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped green onions.

Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.

That's it. This is a very simple dish to prepare and only takes 15 minutes or so to get it ready. I got everything ready while the sausage was cooking and as soon as it was done, it was a 5 minute process to put everything together. Beware though, as dense as this stuff is, when it gets finished cooking it is VERY hot inside and will light you up if not careful.

Still got my last brain cell,
Robert
Darn that sure got my etention ! All the good things in one pot! Brilliant! Off to the grocery store to pick up stuff I'm missing.

Man that looks good! Good write up and thanks for the recipe.

My wife and I are trying to do the whole keto thing, so I’ll have to give this recipe a try. A little tortilla never killed anyone.

And they make "low carb" tortillas also. Yes, it does look good. Thanks for posting the recipe also!

Would of never thought about cottage cheese except at 3am after a good night with the boys gotta try thanks for sharing

What a great looking breakfast!
It looks delicious!
Very nicely done & nice write up!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Did did you use corn or flour tortillas? Receipe states corn but pictures look like flour? Looks great, definitely going to try this. Thanks.

Nice job Robert on the meal and write up. What's that old saying "Real men don't eat quiche". (Edit: I seem to have lost half my reply) Well I think you debunked that theory.

Point for sure.

Chris

Awesome looking breakfast, showing the wife the recipe to get her going.... Like for sure and congrats on the carousel ride...

"Congrats on making the carousel!"

Once again I am honored and humbled to be in such esteemed company. I've always taken a certain pride in being creative with food but recently it's been nice to give a little bit back to the group that I've gotten so much from.
This place has become my second home and all of you, my extended family.

Sincere thanks,
Robert

"Did did you use corn or flour tortillas? Receipe states corn but pictures look like flour? Looks great, definitely going to try this."

UGH!! I can't believe I did that. Talk about the ultimate brain cramp. My mind must have been in a different universe while I was typing this up as I really don't like corn tortillas. You're correct sir, they are flour and the post has been edited to reflect the correction. See what I meant in the post? Every time I try to think, something goes awry :-)

OOPS!!
Robert

Looks fantastic . 2 thumbs up on cottage cheese . I use it lasagna but never in a baked egg dish . I'll have to try it .
Thanks .

"Looks fantastic . 2 thumbs up on cottage cheese . I use it lasagna but never in a baked egg dish."

I find it interesting the number of references to the cottage cheese. I would have never guessed that all these carnivores would find it intriguing :) The wife loves the stuff and it's a staple for her. I like it and eat it fairly regularly. It used to be one of my favorite snacks when coupled with Bartlett Pear halves. Like yourself, I use it in lasagna as opposed to ricotta that I previously used. This was at the "recommendation" of my wife, who only ate lasagna that way before we met. I saw the stuff in the fridge and thought it'd make a nice flavor and textural addition to the dish, and it turned out I was right. One thing I'll say though, the cottage cheese along with the other two cheeses makes this a very dense meal. There is a lot of substance and it's very filling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky