Old Bay Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azrocker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Edmond OK
I have recently received a PM about my use of Old Bay in my recent "Bacon Experiment". Apparently this person thinks it is only for Crab and Seafood. Here is a recipe from the Old Bay site.

OLD BAY[emoji]174[/emoji] serves double duty as the savory secret in this recipe developed by Chef Tory McPhail of Commanders Palace in New Orleans, Louisiana. The special blend of spices jazzes up the grilled tenderloin as well as the Bourbon Peach Barbecue Sauce for an easy-to-make delight.

Ingredients
2 pork tenderloins (about 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon OLD BAY[emoji]174[/emoji] Seasoning
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
Bourbon Peach Barbecue Sauce:

1 cup peach preserves
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons OLD BAY[emoji]174[/emoji] Seasoning

Directions
Rub pork with oil, then season with 1 tablespoon OLD BAY and garlic.

Barbecue Sauce: Mix preserves, bourbon, ketchup and 1 1/2 teaspoons OLD BAY in small bowl.

Grill pork over medium heat 25 to 30 minutes or until desired doneness. Brush with sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Slice and serve with remaining sauce.

I do love the Old Bay and I think it a great spice because of it's contents. I like to think "outside the box". I tell you this spicy bacon turned out very well!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ighlight=bacon

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ighlight=bacon

>>>Apparently this person thinks it is only for Crab and Seafood.<<<

while i am sure the author of the PM means well, we use old bay for all kinds of stuff.

Don't tell Red that ol Bay is only for seafood. It's her main ingredient in her homemade rub that she won't give out to anyone.... not even me.... she knows I'll blab. It is shweeeeeet!

While Old Bay is great for seafood, it has so many spices it is a part of one of my rubs that I use on occasion.

Old Bay IS multi-fnctional ..... I had 3 Bloody Marys this past Saturday, and they were heavily seasoned with Old Bay
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

I have grown up on the Chesapeake Bay and Old Bay has always been on the table right next to the salt & pepper, it is great on seafood, but I have added it to many, many (non seafood) recipes over the years. My kids prefer it sprinkled over deviled eggs vs. regular paprika. If anyone hasn't tried experimenting with it yet, give it a try, you may have just found your new 'secret' seasoning!

(Hint .... try it out first on some homemade french fries)

Love old bay, use it all the time...and rarely for seafood. If you want me to use if for other things...tell me I can't, and then see how far that get's ya!

Quoting PM: "Salt is CURE.Old Bay seasoning?what you cooking,crabs?I quit posting on this site cause of stuff like this,too much ego,not enough common sense.If you would like to discuss this more... (phone number was here)"

Guess this member of the OTBS didn't agree.

az - did you make a particular post in open forum that got the guy upset? if so, have you got a link to the thread?

i mean, if a person took all the stuff in old bay and marketed it as an all-purpose seasoning for chicken, pork etc., it would not only seel, but sell big - a pig would say it's shweet stuff.

same here - he says that he quit posting, but he takes the time to send PMs around criticizing? where i'm from, that's a good way to not have any credibility - aside from that, it's rather passive aggressive.

yeah sounds like it, but if he is an OTBS member maybe we should be happy he doesn't post here anymore. Or at atleast rarely anyways.

I've tried a lot of different seasonings with the CB and the Buckboard bacon. That's part of the fun with this hobbie. To me the only absolutes are the conditions and preperations to keep your meat safe to eat. I'm very careful when preparing all my smokes but in particular anything that is going to be in that good ol danger level between 40 and 140. I've done a lot of reading and a lot of searching for answers concerning the curing process. I'm no expert but I personally have made the decision to always cure my jerky. When I make BB I cure it and then smoke it to 140 internal and then fry it up to finish it off. Same with CB although now I take it to 160 because I like slicin it off from the fridge and eatin it. The salt we have now does not contain nitrites like it use to. Therefore if you are curing meat to eliminate the worry of bacteria during the smoking process, you would have to use one of the available cures.

I'm not trying to get anybody that doesn't use cure to use a cure. It's just the method I choose to use. If I smoke my CB to 140 then I mark the package to make sure nobody eats it without frying it up. Same with the buckboard. After learning all the things I have from this forum, the internet, and some of the members... I would never buy jerky at the flea market again.

Think I got off subject.... I love Old Bay!

This sort of thing happens often, someone googles a how to, and it dont match up with what we do, and google is NEVER wrong. got a good freind that is this way, will search to prove you wrong or justify himself.

This individual that pm'ed you is probly way too "seasoned" of a smoker for us, and it would take him too long to educate all of us.
I would forward this pm to pineywood or another mod.

And, I have won comps with only old bay or Tony Chaseres(sp), they are both good alone or blended in with your own secret mix.

There is more to the story and I started this by my own PM. So I guess I got what I asked for. I just feel that being critical of an experiment is not part of the spirit of the smoke. I can blame no one but myself I asked for it.

Anybody know where I can get it in Canada. It is getting increasingly more difficult to get things shipped to Canada due to our govt. I have never seen it up here where I shop. thks Piker

piker - i'm straight south over the line from medicine hat. if you absolutely can't get it, let me know and maybe we can find a way to get you some ~

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky