Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fsufan1951

Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I have an older Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker that needs a replacement thermometer.  The bung in the smoker is 7/8 inch inside diameter thread.  I can't seem to find a replacement thermometer that actually screws into the bung.  Everything I see online is 1/2 inch with a retaining nut and washer to hold it in the larger size bung.  Yet, I see new smokers in the local TSC Hardware with thermometers that will fit my smoker!  Someone makes these, but I cannot find any.  Does anyone have a source or suggestion on where I might find the proper thermometer that fits my smoker?  Thanks!

If it were me I would replace it with a tel-tru.

They are 1/2", so you will have to put a nut on the back.

Al

My local Walmart was selling replacement thermometers for the OJ.
Did you check Walmart site to see if they had any?
If you want something better then Al & Joe gave you great suggestions.

Thanks, but I prefer the correct size thread and I know they're out there, but where?

If the cooker has a 7/8 dia. threaded hole, that would be just about right for a 1/2 inch tapered pipe thread. Have you tried a half-inch pipe bushing in the hole?

Problem solved! The 1/2 inch NPT threaded temp gauge will work. Learned something here regarding pipe thread measurement! Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky