OK. SO HERE IS THE CHALLENGE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Newark on Trent, United Kingdom.
I hope you folks have seen the October Throwdown.  Now, I have eaten food that some of you folks cook.  Really fine food.  So my challenge is: let's see if we can have a U.K. winner.  I am struggling for an idea at the moment but I am sure some of you have some great ideas.  Let's get the U.K. on the smoking map and show our friends across the pond we aren't just uneducated step-children; we know our stuff!  C'mon folks!  Thinking caps on!  We can do this!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Great idea Danny

To save people having to search...

This months challenge is here

and

The entry rules are here

You will need to give us all a heads-up as to what you will be presenting Danny - We would hate to create something that was identical  
biggrin.gif

You will need to give us all a heads-up as to what you will be presenting Danny - We would hate to create something that was identical  :biggrin:
[/quote]

One of the throwdown rules is you can't post your submission on the forum prior to the end of voting...

You will need to give us all a heads-up as to what you will be presenting Danny - We would hate to create something that was identical  
biggrin.gif

One of the throwdown rules is you can't post your submission on the forum prior to the end of voting...[/quote]
LOL I know. I was just trying to see if Danny would fall for it and disqualify his own entry - as it would give the rest of us more of a chance... Who said this was a friendly challenge and we were not allowed to play dirty...

AR15firing.gif

Last edited:
Hello Case. As of yet I don't have a good idea for the Throwdown.  I haven't even read the rules yet.  I didn't plan to answer Wade's question but I didn't know that was against the rules.  Thanks for the heads up!  Can't ya just feel tha LOVE here in the U.K. Group!  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello Case. As of yet I don't have a good idea for the Throwdown.  I haven't even read the rules yet.  I didn't plan to answer Wade's question but I didn't know that was against the rules.  Thanks for the heads up!  Can't ya just feel tha LOVE here in the U.K. Group!  :icon_biggrin:   Keep Smokin!
Danny

I figured you'd all be doing left over bangers and mash, with some left over crumpets and tea!

Heck I don't even have a good idea for this one! Even though I repurpose almost every meal I cook. My last batch of thighs we smoked to make enchiladas. Used the bones to make stock. Had several nights of chicken soup. Got tired of that, so boiled down a bunch of our fresh garden tomatoes added some squash (another left over), 3 cups of the chicken stock, basil, heavy cream, some other spices, puréed it all into tomato soup. Served that with smoked grilled cheese sandwees last night. Probably have the same again tonight. At this rate that pack of thighs is working about to feeding our family of four for about $0.50 a meal!

Now that shows dedication and is very impressive 
icon14.gif

A couple of weeks ago a chap posted on Twitter a Lasagne that he had made with his left overs, it looked amazing, just food for thought - no pun intended 
drool.gif

Well I can't get an American product I was gonna use.  Every place I usually get it has sold out.  I am at a loss now as it is an essential ingredient.  I had planned a fast food take on a classic recipe.  There are some obvious meals for left overs but this being a Throwdown I think it will take something special to win or even make it to the final.  I hope some of you folks have a great idea for the Throwdown as I may let the side down on this one.  Please remember that it is sort of expected you post your recipe/Qview especially if you make the final cut so take those picts as you do the dish. Keep Smokin!

Danny

Talking of ingredients that you are having trouble getting hold of,  what is the UK equivalent of potato starch. I have tried corn flour but it didn't work.

thanks in advance

Well now you folks are gonna be convinced I am crazy.  When I think of left overs I think of a quick easy meal.  Fast food, little effort.  What I need is a a boxed rice dish.  All you need comes in the box.  Add tinned tomatoes, the spice mix and simmer for 20 minutes.  I have only 2 boxed/instant dishes I use and I only use them for fast food..  1 is the rice box the other is a mac and cheese box.  I don't follow the directions exactly and the end product isn't bad for a fast food meal.  I make a good version of the box from fresh ingredients but my whole point was to make a fast food version using some left overs.  The rice is a major ingredient in the whole meal.  I can't give all away as I may make the fresh version.  You know we all have our little secrets, I like cheap American hotdogs and fried spam/no batter.  Below is a thread you may find interesting/amusing.

As for potato starch, you got me!  I have never used the product and wouldn't begin to know what to get here in the U.K..  Maybe Wade can help you out.  I am sure he will be along soon.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/153264/dirty-little-secret

Last edited:

Talking of ingredients that you are having trouble getting hold of,  what is the UK equivalent of potato starch. I have tried corn flour but it didn't work.

thanks in advance
arrowroot or tapioca starch maybe? My wife is gluten intolerant so I've had to re learn how to cook without flour. Both of those are thickeners along with corn starch. I see that arrowroot powder is available online. http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/arrowroot-powder-50g.html?gclid=CMTx98moqsECFUnlwgodZKgAVQ

Hiya Mike,

Thanks for the link, unfortunately Arrowroot will work out far to expensive as I will need at least 3 or 4  boxes at a time. back to the drawing board!

Hiya Wade,

I found a similar place that sold potato flour.... so i thought I was sorted, then I found an article that said it was different.  I think I will just have to go out and buy some and give it a try

Thanks for the link

I know you can't talk about it but I hope one member out of the Group entered.  If you did enter I wish you good luck.  My idea TOTALLY fell through and I just couldn't come up with another idea I thought would have chance.  I know you will think I'm crazy but the American product I couldn't find was Rice A Roni Spanish rice.  It's a boxed rice dish.  I don't follow the directions exactly so my "version" comes pretty good.  I wanted to make a 20 minute "fast food" version of a paella using the boxed rice, left over smoked sausage and chicken.  Throw in some frozen prawns, frozen peas and a few mussels.  Top with chopped coriander and serve.  Should all be done in the time it takes to cook the boxed rice.  I had hoped the "fast food" novelty might give it a chance.  After that I could only come up with the usual suspects for left overs: chilli, stew, tacos, etc. and I just couldn't figure a way to pimp those up to give it a chance.  Ah well!  I don't do much/any fancy cooking, just pretty basic home style food.  I will be interested to see the entries.

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky