• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ok, not smoking, but…

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
It started with a recipe for pork adobo I found in the June/July issue of Wine Enthusiast. It was a free subscription, and well, I really do like wine.

It included pickled carrots, peppers, onions, and a papaya. Whoa, never done that before. Two days in advance, I julienned the veggies and fruit. Mixed up the pickling juice and let it do it’s thing, whatever that is.

A31DFFCF-3F0E-4FD7-8C83-AEB07351258F.jpeg

The next day I made up the marinade. It seemed very familiar, very similar to the marinades I use for smoking. They called for pork belly, but I switched to pork shoulder. The cuts at the meat market looked a lot leaner, but still had marbling for flavor. I trimmed and sliced into half inch thick portions. The meat marinaded for 24 hours.

On dinner day, I grilled the meat, turning and basting every two minutes until they reached 145 degrees.

I served the meat on a bed of rice with the pickled veggies. Oh my goodness it is good. I paired it with a 2012 Columbia Valley Primitivo. Perfect!

213D922E-71AA-4861-94FB-B28648A65BD9.jpeg

Damned if you guys aren’t teaching me how to cook!

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
That looks like a fine meal indeed!

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks tasty. What was in the Marinade?...JJ

Titch

Smoke Blower
Joined May 12, 2020
Looks very good, what was your pickle juice if you dont mind.
We are always on the lookout for new pickle flavours

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I'm not a wine drinker...But I would not turn down that plate of greatness.
Jim

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
That looks really good!! Well done and the time put into all the marinating looks like it paid off.

Damned if you guys aren’t teaching me how to cook!
Don't feel bad. They are trying to do the same thing to me. Thus far it's not working very well but they are still trying :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Dang that looks good!
Al

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Heck yes, it looks good! I'll take a plateful and and a glass of wine or two!

Ryan

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Very Nice Plate!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
Thank you for the likes!

I checked the magazine website and they have published the recipe:

I made it exactly to the recipe except the cut of meat. The other minor modification is I cooked the pork to temperature rather than time. Since I had a couple of thicker pieces, I pulled them as they each reached temperature. Yea, I learned that here!

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
BTW, I did not have the bottle of Zin they recommended for the pairing. Primitivo is a genetic cousin to Zinfandel, so it substituted nicely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.