Oil/ Tar In New Smoker-help, Please!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
I just purchased a new custom built commercial size smoker. The smoker is awesome (pics to follow). The only problem I have is that there is oil or tar in the smoker/ oven. I asked the builder and he said this is normal as they come from a pipe yard. He said I can just burn the stuff off and I will be safe.

I just want to hear from you guys that this is an ok method, or is there a solvent i should use???

Please help!

Thanks!

I'd Simple Green it...have access to a power washer or take it to the car wash. mop it with the Green, and give 'er 'ell!

On edit; THEN cook it out...hot and long...

Just wash it well then start a nice hot fire and it will indeed burn off. To wash just use a cloth and a bucket of soapy water, wouldn't use solvents. Then season it.

Thanks Gents!!!!!!!!

There is a burner in the main smoker I would imagine that I should remove that first???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky