Oil less turkey fryer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miamited

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Miami, FL.
A coworker mentioned this to me today and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these Infrared cooking systems?

I picked one up a week or so ago. Plan on giving it a run this weekend in prep for T-day. Seems like a cool tool.

Have one. Works great. Will never oil fry a bird again. Just like any cooker you will have a learning curve. Have cooked whole turkey, ribs, butts, prime rib. Also added a smoke tube and use a smoke pistol to apply smoke.
Char broil has a user's forum check it out.

Reactions: Floridajetsfan
I saw these as well. And watched a bunch of youtube videos about it. Seems quite popular and works well.

What's next? Wood-less Smokers? Water-less Steamers? Meat-less Hamburgers? Oh wait, we got them...JJ

Reactions: miamited and udaman
Gotta be safer than playing with a Turkey in a big Pot of Boiling Oil.

Bear Jr always makes ours in his Big Green Egg.

I'm Semi Retired on Turkeys---I only do Breasts in my MES.

Bear

Reactions: chef jimmyj
if its not a "fryer" isn't it just baker? I may be weird, but all these things called fryers that dont fry. Im with chef JimmyJ on this. if it doesn't fry, it not a fryer. just having fun - dont flame me out. :)

I agree with both Bear and Sandy. Safer than a 375°F pot of Oil, OVER A FLAME!?! Definitely! But if you ain't cooking in " some amount of Oil, " You ain't FRYING! This is just like Air Fryers. A marketing scheme to sell a Mini Convection Oven under the quise of it producing Healthy FRIED Food. An Air Fryer can make delicious, crispy, brown French Fries. But they will NEVER taste like French Fries deep fried in Veg Oil, Duck Fat, Lard or Beef Tallow! Yes, I did buy an Air Fryers, based on the rave reviews of folks here. First it was too small to cook for 6 adults at a time and even spraying the potatoes with Oil did not give the same Taste and Texture of Deep Fried Fries. My oldest Daughter took it for her and her husband to use.
While I can believe this Oil-less Fryer makes a delicious and easy, nice brown, crispy skin, Turkey. It will not have the same Taste as a Deep Fried Turkey. It's like Baking an Egg, Poaching an Egg and Pan Frying an Egg in Bacon Grease. While they may all get Cooked to the same degree of doneness, firm White and beautifully runny Yolk, there is No Way all three will taste the same...JJ

That's probably why they want you to add a touch of oil in an attempt to get that flavor chef jimmyj chef jimmyj . Which I'm sure you figured out. My air fryer does well with food that already has a ton of fat in them. Like those frozen prepared breaded chicken wings. And the fries are good. But if you're looking for the same flavor. Then it won't happen with this gadget IMHO.

I agree Steve. The Air Fryers is not a bad piece of equipment and cooks some items very well. It does make nicely crispy Wings. It just does not seem right to call it a Fryer.
I would like to see the owners of this Oil-less Turkey Fryer post some cooks. It does have potential and would free up Oven space for Sides and Desserts...JJ

No, it shouldn't be called a fryer. I did look at some videos on youtube showing some results using this turkey cooker. The birds do look good. But I wouldn't think they'd hold a candle to a deep fried one.

Holiday meal traditions, in my Family, are generations old. If I even had a Deep Frier, I could not use it on Thanksgiving. If this Oil-less Frier does a good job, the bird will have to be similar in taste and texture to an Oven Roasted Turkey for me to use it for Thanksgiving. It's a Tough Crowd here...JJ

I'm thinking that this gizmo would have a better chance of doing that over imitating a deep fried turkey. But, I don't think I'd try that for a Thanksgiving meal without first trying it out at a different time. Either way. We rarely have Turkey. Even for Thanksgiving.

I've used this infrared cooker for turkey's for about 10 years now. WAY better than frying in oil or even in the oven. Turkey comes out with crispy skin and perfect meat. I won't fry a turkey ever again. It's about 10 minutes per pound from the time you turn it on and drop the bird in. While oil frying is about 3 minutes per pound, you never add in all the time you have to wait to get the oil up to temp. Clean up is really easy too.

I agree with both Bear and Sandy. Safer than a 375°F pot of Oil, OVER A FLAME!?! Definitely! But if you ain't cooking in " some amount of Oil, " You ain't FRYING! This is just like Air Fryers. A marketing scheme to sell a Mini Convection Oven under the quise of it producing Healthy FRIED Food. An Air Fryer can make delicious, crispy, brown French Fries. But they will NEVER taste like French Fries deep fried in Veg Oil, Duck Fat, Lard or Beef Tallow! Yes, I did buy an Air Fryers, based on the rave reviews of folks here. First it was too small to cook for 6 adults at a time and even spraying the potatoes with Oil did not give the same Taste and Texture of Deep Fried Fries. My oldest Daughter took it for her and her husband to use.
While I can believe this Oil-less Fryer makes a delicious and easy, nice brown, crispy skin, Turkey. It will not have the same Taste as a Deep Fried Turkey. It's like Baking an Egg, Poaching an Egg and Pan Frying an Egg in Bacon Grease. While they may all get Cooked to the same degree of doneness, firm White and beautifully runny Yolk, there is No Way all three will taste the same...JJ

I can't say either way about this Turkey Fryer, because I don't have one.

However though the little black AirFryers are too small to make much, My AirFryer 360 can make enough chicken for 3 people in one basket, and I can easily put two baskets in.
My "Fried" Chicken is better than Deep Fried, as is My Fried Fish, and both a whole lot healthier.
As for the French Fries, the only thing that makes McDonald's Fries Better than mine is that McD's has a lot of salt on theirs & I don't put any salt on mine.

So don't knock it if you really didn't give it a real chance to prove itself to you.

Bear

So don't knock it if you really didn't give it a real chance to prove itself to you.

I bought this highly rated Air Fryer...

I tried a Whole Chicken, Breaded Thighs, Russet Fries, Sweet Potato Fries, Breaded Haddock Filets, Wings, Homemade Mini Pizzas, Breaded Eggplant for Parm and Brined Pork Chops. All cooked and tasted just fine. NONE tasted remotely close to Deep Fried.
Of course I only spent $60, at the time. Should I have gotten the Emeril 360 Air Fryer/ Combination, Toaster, Rotisserie, Broiler, Food Dehydrator, Pizza, Oven, at $160, to get a Deep Fried taste?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky