October 18th MSG barn party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Last call for the michigan smokers group get together. The original thread has it dated the 11th of October but we changed it due to opening day of the waterfowl season.

If you want to attend private message handyman Stan or myself or just post it on this thread or the original thread and let us know.

Goose sounds good but I thought you were hunting duck.  I am going shopping today and I will take the fish out of freezer tomorrow.  The weather shows a chance of rain and 52* so should be good for cold smoking. 

Yeah Stan we were duck hunting but that includes the Canadian geese as well. Only thing I had a shot at all day. Damn sky busters were across the pond shooting at the ducks from 80-100 yards away not hitting them and scaring them off in the process. Opening day sucks like that.

Well I have not had any goose in about 20 years so I am looking forward to trying smoked breast. 

Scott do you want me to bring a canopy in case of rain?  We can put the smokers under it.

Yeah for sure Stan. A canopy will help a lot. Thanks.

What time are you planning on coming over Stan? Cam has to work so he won't be over until later.

Still haven't heard from RobbQ or humdinger in a while so their status is unknown.

I think I'm gonna smoke a shoulder Friday night so we have lunch and then I plan on smoking another shoulder Saturday along with a turkey breast and I just added chicken quarters to make sure there's enough food since people have backed out or not kept us informed of there intentions.

If your doing salmon hopefully we have enough food.

I think there will be plenty of food.  I will show up around 9 am with tables, chairs, canopy, smokers, food and snacks.     

The fish is still thawing and the beans are getting smoked tomorrow. 

I can't wait.  This smoke will be a fun time.

Smoke started at 1030pm.

AMNPS lit!

12 pound butt rubbed down Thursday night all ready for the smoker.

butt in the smoker. Been smoking for almost 3 hours around 230 degrees. I'll probe it in the morning to see where were at.

Have another 9 pound butt going on tomorrow morning as well.

See y'all soon!

I am all loaded and on my way.  Not sure what I forgot but something is bugging me.  Guess we will see.      

See you all in a bit.       

The Michigan cheese smoke we had this past Saturday at hillbillyrkstrs was a great success.   Scott and his wife Crystal were the perfect hosts.  There was more food than we could eat and the booze never stopped flowing. 

We smoked the cheese with pecan smoke for about three hours.  The nuts were smoked with pitsmasters.

Smoked a turkey breast with mulberry and cherry.  Scott smoked two butts with… I am not sure what kind of smoke but the bark was remarkable and the pp was some of the best I have ever had.
Scott smoked some scotch eggs that came out very nice and tasty and some bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.

I smoked the salmon with pecan and it came out ok but for me a little dry.

We also smoked a squirrel that got shot that morning by Scotts friend Jeffs son.

We had a fire fueled with pallets that got out of control a few times but there was plenty of room to move chairs back 20 feet when needed.

The weather was a little wet in the morning but cleared up by noon for the rest of the party.  It was a little chilly but with the fire and Cams heater in the pole barn it was comfortable.

I had a great time and can’t wait for the next one.  Thank you Scott and Crystal for putting on a great party.

I am sorry that my picture taking was not up to par.

Stan

Looks like Scott and Crystal put on quite a party. I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Those scotch eggs looked really good too. Great job, and I hope to see you all again soon. Perhaps RobbQ and I will organize/host something on this side of town once things calm down for him? We'll see.

Pork butts were smoked with oak/maple/peach combo. The bark had a lot to do with the rub as well (homemade rub).

Was a good time. Thanks for all your help Stan. The only casualty was the fire pit. Damn near every rock cracked under the heat of the pallets. I'll buy a steel ring soon enough.

After talking with a few friends it looks like November 22nd were gonna be doing it again. Not an official MSG get together but the MSG is invited. I'll be smoking more shoulders and some chicken quarters as I have 30 pounds left from last weekends smoke.

Last edited:
Scott and Crystal are great people in my book!   Wife and I took to them like old friends at last cookout at Cam's.

In fact, all of you are great people!  We really enjoyed meeting all of you at the last smoke party!

But Crystal shared some of the best food she had snagged with me, and Scott shared his knowledge of a CG with me.  LOL

Sure wish we could have made it down to your smoking party Scott!

But Debbie was up in Gaylord getting her arms all banged up while unloading two horses.  Nothing broke, according to ER, but still heavily wrapped with a plastic splint a week later.   And both arms are still showing some really pretty colors too. 

I keep telling her, horses are bigger than you.....  RUN! 

But her instinct, is to protect the horse from hurting himself.  Silly girl.

I think she wishes we had gone south, instead of north, last weekend too.  LOL

Glad to see your smoking party was a good time by all.

And what is this, with only two photo's of small amount of cheese, at a cheese smoking party?   I expected more than that! 

I smoke more cheese than that, myself at home.  <grin>

Pallet bonfire out of control?  NEVER!  Just sometimes hotter than expected.   If I'm not cooking on it at the time, that's my kind of bonfire! 

Ask me, when we meet again, about our annual Christmas tree burning in the spring, and the neighbors.  It's too funny to try to describe in type written words.  LOL

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky