oak, tri tip.

Discussion in 'Beef' started by efrain, Jun 26, 2009.

1. efrain

efrain Fire Starter

I bought some oak wood planks for a stair project i have going on and wanted to know if the wood is safe to smoke grill over.it is uncured and i am going to have some left over, wanted to use it for some tri tips.thanks.

2. bbrock

bbrock Meat Mopper

It is my understading that you do not want to use any wood that is not cured. Because it will leave your food with a bad taste.. Am sure there will be some more helping hand come in and can go more in depth..

3. billbo

billbo Master of the Pit OTBS Member

4. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I will prolly get barked at for this, but, I see no reason you couldn't use the leftover wood for smoking as long as it is unfinished oak planks.

Only thing I would say to be careful about is flare-ups since board lumber is typically dryer than wood you have cured yourself.

If you happen to have any, add some cherry or apple to the oak for your smoke...[​IMG]

L8r,
    Eric

5. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If it is unfinished and no additives, use it. I also agree to add some cherry wood to it, the two make for a nice combo.

6. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If the wood has NOT been treated, that means it was not kiln dries and there's no chemicals in iot; but ask the people you got it from if they are SURE it is not cured!!!!![​IMG]

Just my two cents worth.