O M G! I have a brain storm!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mawil1013

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Carolina's.
OMG! I have a brain storm! I have the 30" Masterbuilt w/digital control. I have an A-Maze-N 5x8 on the way. I read about the mailbox mod. 

I also have a kitchen gas stove that I bought for $15 which I converted to run off briquettes.  Double walled and insulated, impervious to wind and rain. I also have a Farberware 12 inch electric skillet with a broken leg. 

My brain storm is to use the converted stove cooker, the bottom drawer is where I have been placing briquettes, but what if I set in the Farberware electric skillet which has a highly accurate built in temperature controller for low heat, and use the incoming A-Maze-N 5x8 also, I may just have created one heck of a large smoker!!!!!

(Off to left is my modified weber kettle, cut down a 55 gallon steel drum to create an insert.)

You probably already have a large hole cut in the oven floor for that heat to pass up from the drawer?

I'm pretty sure you'll need that to even begin to approach decent chamber temps from the Farberware.

Lots of reading here on the build subforums.

LOTS of issues to consider here.

Many safety related, such as cord heat resistance, etc, etc.

And then many performance issues.

Nothing AT ALL bad about using the oven, actually a MUCH better idea than using an old fridge like many do

Chamber wise, it's great 

But keep studying for further ideas on finishing the conversion into a smoker.

The AMNPS is a very wise purchase.

Best of luck,  Marc

Last edited:
You probably already have a large hole cut in the oven floor for that heat to pass up from the drawer?

I'm pretty sure you'll need that to even begin to approach decent chamber temps from the Farberware.

Lots of reading here on the build subforums.

LOTS of issues to consider here.

Many safety related, such as cord heat resistance, etc, etc.

And then many performance issues.

Nothing AT ALL bad about using the oven, actually a MUCH better idea than using an old fridge like many do

Chamber wise, it's great 

But keep studying for further ideas on finishing the conversion into a smoker.

The AMNPS is a very wise purchase.

Best of luck,  Marc

The gas stoves oven bottom came out easy, designed for removal for cleaning, so, the drawer is fully open to inside oven chamber. Since the cooking temp is low, under 160F, cord is fine, just need to cover fry pan controller and cord from any possible drippings. I'll remove the fry pan handle too. Might center the fry pan in draw, set lower track all the way down, and use heavy foil to be over fry pan. I can hang two wood rods inside oven to hang sausage, it really ready to go, just have to do it is all. I might look into blocking gaps around bottom to reduce cold air this time of year. Perhaps sheet metal all under oven, but that's a minor issue. FYI, these fry pans are on ebay.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky